AppliancesCleaning

Cleaning a Smelly Freezer

Our freezer was left ajar for several hours, but not enough to completely thaw the food. Several days later it started to have a sour smell in the laundry room where the freezer is. We've cleaned everything in the room, but can't locate the smell. I don't see any evidence of spilled blood or anything like that. Help!

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Put crumpled up newspapers in it for a few days.
There is a product called Nok-Out which removes many smells. You can get it at Amazon.

Under most freezers is a drain for defrosting purposes. Under an upright there is actually a drain pan that can slide out for cleaning. Deep freeze freezers usually have a plug at the drain hole. I would check this drain for the smell source first and clean if necessary.

If you are unable to find the source, then use the other measures. Here are a couple of things that I use for odor in my fridge/freezers: A couple bricks of charcoal placed nearby or in the freezer will absorb smell. Also I have cleaned my appliances with borax or baking soda and water to remove smell.

You'll need to pull the freezer out and check the back for water. Make sure there is no water in the drain pan. If there is you'll need to empty this to remove the stale water.

After i would add a box of baking soda in the freezer. You can put in several of them - or one on each shelf. This should help to get rid of the order. Also check what is in your freezer and make sure there is no bad smells coming from it. When fish or some other foods start to defrost and then freeze again this can cause them to spoil and leave a bad smell.