Cleaning a Smelly Freezer

If you have ever had a freezer lose power and have had the stench of rotten meat; here's a tip I learned from my grandmother. Not sure why, but their freezer shut down. They always bought their meat in later year, in halves. Before that they were farmers and raised their own.

After cleaning their freezer out with baking soda, they put a large bag of charcoal in the bottom of the fridge for several days. The smell was gone and they were able to use the freezer again. Before the charcoal, they thought they were going to have to get rid of it.

Several years after this happened to them, my husband needing a 3 prong adapter, unplugged our freezer and forgot to plug it back in. I used Grandma's advise and it worked for me. Appliances are very expensive so I appreciated Grandma's knowledge in the matter. I'm kind of new to this site and imagine that this may have been posted before, but thought maybe there are other people out there like me. Speaking of this site, It is awesome! I'm addicted to it.

Top Comment

Thank you so much for this. We just returned from a holiday to find our electricity had shut down 6 days prior and our freezer was full and the stench was horrible. So tomorrow I will go out and get some charcoal. Thanks to my friend Hitomi for finding this for me. Will let you know if it worked.

what kind of charcoal? the grill type?

Yes thank you...I cried. Because I thought I was going to haul it to the dump. I will not try this.. Besides I love the smell of vanilla!!!!

Do you do this with the freezer running or unplugged?

Thanks!