Cleaning an Inground Pool

Category Miscellaneous
It is important to clean your pool properly to protect the swimmer's health. This guide is about cleaning an inground pool.

Is it true that if you put Arm & Hammer in the pool that it will keep it clean without using chlorine?

By Libby

The water hose attachment vacuum lets the fine dirt settle at the bottom of the pool cloud back out through the attached bag. How can I fix his?

By Sandra R. from southern MO

I would like advice for getting the tiles in my pool cleaned. It's hard work.

By Kris from Waddell, AZ

We just got a new house and the in-ground pool hasn't been cleaned for well over a year. It has brown water, lots of frogs and tadpoles, etc. Any suggestions short of draining it and starting over? I hate the thought of our water bill if we have to fill it back up. NOTE: Pool is all concrete (no liner) with tiles.

Pamela from St. Augustine, FL

Answers:

Cleaning Backyard Pool

If you call your water utility company and tell them you are filling your pool for the first time, they usually charge you a fee not the normal per gallon fee. Our city charges a one time charge of $50.00. It is worth calling them (10/12/2007)

By

Cleaning Backyard Pool

Sorry, no other solution. The amount of straining and disinfecting needed would be impossible and cost lots more than the water. Besides, would you want your kids to swim in that chemical mess? Drain, clean, and inspect for damage to concrete liner. Hire a professional. Good luck. (10/12/2007)

By booyogi

Cleaning Backyard Pool

I am a manager of a pool store in New England, and in order to get your pool clean enough, I honestly think it would be much cheaper and a lot less work to drain it and start over. Pool chemicals get very expensive, especially with that much debris. (10/13/2007)

By LSmith6546

Cleaning Backyard Pool

If you live in a small community with a local fire department, sometimes you can exchange their water for a cash donation to their organization. They will come and pump it in their off times. If you pay by check, it counts as a donation for your taxes, also. It may be a small town thing though, but you could check. (10/13/2007)

By jazzbird719

Cleaning a Backyard Pool

I would call Parker Pools (I live in St Augustine also) and see what they would suggest. (10/15/2007)

By Tami

Cleaning a Backyard Pool

Oh, people. I know you will most likely want to use your pool for swimming next summer, but I ask you to consider the frogs and tadpoles in it. Frogs are becoming rarer and rarer, a "bio-indicator" of bad times on our planet. Could you please remove at least some of them alive and relocate them elsewhere?

Thank you.
(10/15/2007)

By Ellie

Cleaning a Backyard Pool

We removed as many of the frogs as we could (tadpoles also, they went into a small pond) and we added Shock it to get the mosquitoes so far. I will call Parker Pools tomorrow and see what else I can do. I did talk to the city and they will estimate the gallons and only charge for water, not sewer, etc. for the specified number if we want to drain and refill the pool (according to who I talked to, it should be about $60).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully Parker Pools can make a few suggestions also (how to clean it once it's empty, new pump, etc.). (10/15/2007)

By Pamela