GlassCleaning

Cleaning the Glass on a Turtle Tank

I've used vinegar and dish detergent plus baking soda to get rid of cloudy glass and nothing works. What else can I do?

You can use bleach and water or vinegar and water. Complete instructions are here:aquariumadviser.com/.../

It may be time to get a new tank. Sometimes that haze is actually fine scratches and permanent damage.

Some people say rubbing compound works, but it is super hard to get it all off and rptge residue is not good for the critters!

You could always see if your pet store has a solution.

you could try ammonia or even paint thinner/turpentine. Paint thinner would successfully rid itself of any oily-type residue

I would try Works brand toilet bowl cleaner. Available for around $1 at most stores. Its an acid, so will need to be very throughly rinsed afterward. I use it In plastic pans of animal cages that have white mineral build up. Takes it right off, and makes them look new.

Just a guess, but I think it would work well for a turtle tank. Completely empty tank, squirt on side allow to sit, you may or may not have to scrub. Best to do outside, or in a well ventilated room.

After it looks clean, rinse, rinse, rinse. When you think youve removed it all, rinse some more. If youre apprehensive test on a small spot first. If it starts bubbling up right away it will most likely work. Id love to know if you have success.

I have always used white vinegar and sometimes (if it gets really bad) I will have to clean it several times but I know this is safe and takes very little rinsing.

I have always had small turtles and I would be concerned if I used anything that had to be rinsed over and over as it would take only a small amount of anything bad to do them in.

Some people say vinegar does not work but it may be that it needed to be done more than once or twice if the build-up was bad. Aquariums are not easy to pick up and move around so try to find something that can be flushed out easily.

Here is a good site that has simple directions:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7XpZi7XWXk