Cleaning the Outside of Your House

Category Miscellaneous
The outside of your home can get very dirty. This guide is about cleaning the outside of your home.

I clean the outside of our house with bleach to remove dirt and mildew, it saves painting it. Use a bottle that hooks to the water hose, you may not need a bottle full of bleach. Get the bottle from a Hardware store or where they sell plants, Lowe's may have them.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

No matter what type of siding you have on your home, routine cleaning is a worthwhile project. This is a guide about cleaning your home's siding.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can I use regular bleach to clean the outside of my house? I bought a bottle of "outdoor bleach" that is hooked to the water hose. It did OK in some places, but others still have mildew. I wondered if I could fill the bottle back up with regular household bleach and use it the same way. I don't want to kill all the plants around the edge of the porch.

By nonniebeth from Rome, GA

Answers

Sure, that is what I do but be sure to rinse off the bleach. What doesn't come off with the bleach could be algae. Bleach doesn't work on algae.

Try a place like Home Depot-they have eco-safe mold and mildew removers. If it is in your budget try to "rent" a pressure washer, and get these same products, and you will see a HUGE difference. Use your hose sprayer to wet down the area first, and then use the pressure washer. Also good old fashioned "elbow grease" using a long handled scrub brush works!

Anonymous

Please do what Deniaka recommends! Do not use household chlorine bleach as it's poisonous to the environment. It seeps into the soil and into waterways. It's poisonous to anything living including plants, pets, wild critters, children and you.

How can I clean mold and mildew from siding, using items that I have at home?

Answers

vinegar, baking soda, and tea tree essential oil, which is easy enough to get, can do the trick. Just make a mixture of the above and wipe the siding down.

Alternately you can use bleach instead, though this is way more caustic

Diluted bleach will do it. See if you can borrow or rent a pressure washer.

I want to wash my house because it has some green places, others are just dirty. What is the best thing to put on it? I've been told bleach, also white vinegar, etc. What works?

By Patty