Cleaning the Outside of Your House With Bleach

I clean the outside of our house with bleach to remove dirt and mildew, it saves painting it. Use a bottle that hooks to the water hose, you may not need a bottle full of bleach. Get the bottle from a Hardware store or where they sell plants, Lowe's may have them.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

After using the bleach be sure and wash the bleach off with clean water a few minutes after applying the bleach, or you may be disappointed with the results.

Can I use regular bleach to clean the outside of my house? I bought a bottle of "outdoor bleach" that is hooked to the water hose. It did OK in some places, but others still have mildew. I wondered if I could fill the bottle back up with regular household bleach and use it the same way. I don't want to kill all the plants around the edge of the porch.

By nonniebeth from Rome, GA

Answers

Sure, that is what I do but be sure to rinse off the bleach. What doesn't come off with the bleach could be algae. Bleach doesn't work on algae.

Try a place like Home Depot-they have eco-safe mold and mildew removers. If it is in your budget try to "rent" a pressure washer, and get these same products, and you will see a HUGE difference. Use your hose sprayer to wet down the area first, and then use the pressure washer. Also good old fashioned "elbow grease" using a long handled scrub brush works!

Anonymous

Please do what Deniaka recommends! Do not use household chlorine bleach as it's poisonous to the environment. It seeps into the soil and into waterways. It's poisonous to anything living including plants, pets, wild critters, children and you.