Cockatiel Information and Photos

Category Birds
These small parrots, native to Australia, are generally considered to make good pets. Proper handling can result in a gregarious, very tame bird. This is a guide about cockatiel information and photos.

This guide is about caring for and training a pet cockatiel. They are originally from Australia and are prized as household pets and companions. Living to as old as 25 years, cockateils are found throughout the world and are relatively easy to breed.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I'm not sure if my Peanut is suffering from dry skin, nerves, or mites (she has the bird protectors). She is very tame and loves to go on car trips. I have never clipped her wings, so she can get out and exercise. My question is, can you bathe a bird or do I need something else?

By Rindy

Answers

Birds do like to bathe - but be warned - as some people fill a bowl or put them in the shower. In some cases this is ok but often the bird goes into shock & may die of fright by being forced by their well meaning owners. The safest way to bathe your bird is to fill a clean plastic spray bottle with LUKE warm water & gently spray the bird. Believe me it will love this & you'll get a lot of pleasure from watching it lift it's wings & beg you for more.

The safest way to give your bird a bath is by filling up a clean plastic spray bottle with luke warm water & spraying him lightly with it - birds love this - you will get such pleasure in watching him shuffle about & lift his wings. DO not do what some may suggest & put him in the shower or bath as they often die from the shock or fear of this.

My cockatiel screeches the whole day, when not everyone is at home or even when everyone is. Sometimes it because of the weather. He can be quiet all day then he starts screeching. Can someone please give me a tip to stop it?

By Iris

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Lemondrop is a 10 month old rescue bird, that we got in the spring of 2010. He has a malformed beak and would have been destroyed. He loves to play with a toy that talks back when he pushes the buttons. He likes to go around the house with me. Lemondrop loves to sing with sirens, bells, and whistles. He can get very loud when he hears them.

By Becky

Comment Like this photo? 16

Romeo is a 7 year old cockateil. When I first got him, the pet store told me he was a girl. I named him Lucy (after Lucille Ball). When he was about 6 months old, I found a site that did DNA sexing via feathers. I found out that Lucy was indeed a boy. Needless to say, we were surprised. I decided that it was not that important to change his name since he was used to it.

A few weeks later he was kissing me on my cheek and neck, being quite the lovable little bird. I told him "you are quite the Don Juan of birds". Right then I realized "Romeo". He took to his new name right away. Although it did take me awhile to replace all the pink stuff with boy colors.

He is a avid talker and loves to eat chicken (yes chicken, vet said it was ok) and mashed potatoes. Some of his favorite sayings are "Romeo is a pretty bird", "Romeo is a good boy"; and "Romeo is a dodo bird". He is very much loved and along with his 2 sisters (chihuahuas), our beloved pet children.

By Virginia

Romeo (Cockatiel)

Comment Like this photo? 19

Your Pet's Age
Almost 2 years old

Your Pet's Breed
Cockatiel

How and when did you get your pet?
Almost two years ago, a family friend was moving overseas and was unable to bring Little Feet, so I adopted Little Feet into my family.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Little Feet enjoys whistling, singing, and talking non-stop (literally), sometimes you can make out short phrases like "I love you", "What are you doing", "How are you doing" and "Hello!"

Little Feet loves to hang out outside during the day while enjoying the fresh air and playing with hanging toys in the cage. Little Feet's favorite toy is a reflective mirror. Every time Little Feet plays with the reflective mirror, you often here "I love you", it is adorable.

Little Feet is great company, loves to roam freely around the house (when allowed), and goes on your shoulder often.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Little Feet is a clever and determined bird. Very well behaved when indoors because it is a treat to be able to free roam in the house, very social type of bird and friendly.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Your Pet's Age
1 year

Your Pet's Breed
Cockatiel

How and when did you get your pet?
I got him on Christmas Eve! My dad gave him to me.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Walk on the floor, hang out on my dad, fly, cuddle, and that's about it.

He is so cute, and funny.

Comment Like this photo? 6

These are some of my babies. I hand rear Cockatiels, not as a business, but for love. The hardest part is when it comes to adopting them out. I can only hope they they go to loving homes as I get quite attached to them.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

I got my bird from a friend in July 2005, they were looking for a home for him because they weren't home enough to give him attention

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3