Cockatiel Information and Photos

I have a male and a female cockatiel. Both are about 6 months old. When the hen laid an egg for the first time the male took over the egg and is incubating it continuously. He is very aggressive and he is not letting the female to go into the nest. I believe some problem is going on and don't know what to do.

Please help.

Answers

Thats normal for the male to sit on the egg during the day,but the female should sit at night.If he does not give her a turn then put him out at night so she gets her turn.

Male birds can be very aggressive when the eggs are laid they can even attack you or the female to protect the eggs in the nest. Your birds are still very young and the male has not got the idea right now. Normally they are to take turns sitting on the egg. If the male keeps attacking the female you will need to get a second cage and put the male in this cage at night to allow the female to sit on the egg in the nest. Keep watching them when they are together and hopefully the male will get the hint that he is not the only one to sit on the egg in the nest. If not then you need to keep doing this until the egg hatches afer 21 days.

This is a great article that will explain the egg laying process and what the birds need during this time. www.cockatielcottage.net/egg_laying.html

Answer this Question