Cockatiel Information and Photos

Category Birds
These small parrots, native to Australia, are generally considered to make good pets. Proper handling can result in a gregarious, very tame bird. This is a page about cockatiel information and photos.

I have a male and a female cockatiel. Both are about 6 months old. When the hen laid an egg for the first time the male took over the egg and is incubating it continuously. He is very aggressive and he is not letting the female to go into the nest. I believe some problem is going on and don't know what to do.

Please help.

Answers

Thats normal for the male to sit on the egg during the day,but the female should sit at night.If he does not give her a turn then put him out at night so she gets her turn.

Male birds can be very aggressive when the eggs are laid they can even attack you or the female to protect the eggs in the nest. Your birds are still very young and the male has not got the idea right now. Normally they are to take turns sitting on the egg. If the male keeps attacking the female you will need to get a second cage and put the male in this cage at night to allow the female to sit on the egg in the nest.

Keep watching them when they are together and hopefully the male will get the hint that he is not the only one to sit on the egg in the nest. If not then you need to keep doing this until the egg hatches afer 21 days.

This is a great article that will explain the egg laying process and what the birds need during this time. www.cockatielcottage.net/egg_laying.html

My cockatiel screeches the whole day, when not everyone is at home or even when everyone is. Sometimes it because of the weather. He can be quiet all day then he starts screeching. Can someone please give me a tip to stop it?

By Iris

Answers

He may be lonely. Try getting another bird to keep him company. Does he stop if you cover his cage?

Cover the cage

I'm not sure if my Peanut is suffering from dry skin, nerves, or mites (she has the bird protectors). She is very tame and loves to go on car trips. I have never clipped her wings, so she can get out and exercise. My question is, can you bathe a bird or do I need something else?

By Rindy

Answers

Birds do like to bathe - but be warned - as some people fill a bowl or put them in the shower. In some cases this is ok but often the bird goes into shock & may die of fright by being forced by their well meaning owners. The safest way to bathe your bird is to fill a clean plastic spray bottle with LUKE warm water & gently spray the bird. Believe me it will love this & you'll get a lot of pleasure from watching it lift it's wings & beg you for more.

The safest way to give your bird a bath is by filling up a clean plastic spray bottle with luke warm water & spraying him lightly with it - birds love this - you will get such pleasure in watching him shuffle about & lift his wings. DO not do what some may suggest & put him in the shower or bath as they often die from the shock or fear of this.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Lemondrop is a 10 month old rescue bird, that we got in the spring of 2010. He has a malformed beak and would have been destroyed. He loves to play with a toy that talks back when he pushes the buttons.

He likes to go around the house with me. Lemondrop loves to sing with sirens, bells, and whistles. He can get very loud when he hears them.

By Becky

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

Romeo is a 7 year old cockateil. When I first got him, the pet store told me he was a girl. I named him Lucy (after Lucille Ball). When he was about 6 months old, I found a site that did DNA sexing via feathers. I found out that Lucy was indeed a boy. Needless to say, we were surprised. I decided that it was not that important to change his name since he was used to it.

A few weeks later he was kissing me on my cheek and neck, being quite the lovable little bird. I told him "you are quite the Don Juan of birds". Right then I realized "Romeo". He took to his new name right away. Although it did take me awhile to replace all the pink stuff with boy colors.

He is a avid talker and loves to eat chicken (yes chicken, vet said it was ok) and mashed potatoes. Some of his favorite sayings are "Romeo is a pretty bird", "Romeo is a good boy"; and "Romeo is a dodo bird". He is very much loved and along with his 2 sisters (chihuahuas), our beloved pet children.

By Virginia

Romeo (Cockatiel)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 19

Almost two years ago, a family friend was moving overseas and was unable to bring Little Feet, so I adopted Little Feet into my family.

Little Feet (Cockatiel) - sitting on a blue ball

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

I got him on Christmas Eve! My dad gave him to me. He likes to walk on the floor, hang out on my dad, fly, cuddle, and that's about it.

Clyde  (Cockatiel)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

These are some of my babies. I hand rear Cockatiels, not as a business, but for love. The hardest part is when it comes to adopting them out.

I can only hope they they go to loving homes as I get quite attached to them.

Five cute baby birds, three yellow with blue and two gray with a turquoise tail.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

I got my bird from a friend in July 2005, they were looking for a home for him because they weren't home enough to give him attention

Buddy looking straight at camera.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

This page is about caring for and training a pet cockatiel. They are originally from Australia and are prized as household pets and companions. Living to as old as 25 years, cockateils are found throughout the world and are relatively easy to breed.

Man with Pet Cockatiels

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Pets BirdsMay 31, 2013
😷
🌻
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cockatiel-Information-and-Photos.html