Cold Remedies Using Honey

Category Home Remedies
The soothing, antibacterial properties of honey make it a good choice for making your own cold remedies. This is a guide about cold remedies using honey.

Honey has many health benefits and the shelf life is endless. Although I would not want to eat it, I have read that honey, that was still edible, has been found in ancient tombs. I keep local honey on hand all the time. I purchase it by the quart and keep some in a pint jar on the kitchen stove.

When I feel the first signs of a cold coming on, like the little tickle in my throat, I drink lemon juice with honey. It usually knocks it out. If it does continue, it will last only 3 days instead of the, as the old saying goes "3 days coming, 3 days with you, and 3 days leaving".

I buy lemons by the bag full, juice them and freeze by the tablespoon in ice trays.

Prep Time: 2 minutes

• 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp honey

1. At the first sign of a cold coming on, take 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and put it in a cup and warm it. Place a tablespoon of honey in the warm lemon juice and stir until blended. Drink it. It will help stop a cough and also help to knock out a cold before it gets you.
  2. If your cold continues, mix 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon honey in a coffee cup of hot water and drink it. Do this 3-4 times a day. It will give you some relief and speed up the healing process.
  3. Ad

4. If your honey has crystallized like mine did over the summer months, remove the lid from the jar and set it in the microwave on low and slowly warm it.
  5. Keep the honey in the small container on the kitchen stove.
  6. Ad

I had tried this last year when I had a very bad cold, it worked wonders on me to the point where I won't buy OTC meds now.

What I do is:

1. Boil a mug of water.
  2. Add 2 Tbsp honey.
  3. Add 1/4 tsp. cinnamon.
  4. Stir your mixture good and drink it.

Take that for 3 or 4 times a day for a few days and end of problem!
No cold meds can do what this drink can do.

Also, this seems to work on some allergies. I had allergies really bad this past spring and I tried this drink on them and it worked very well. I don't know if it works on all allergies, but it sure did relieve my stuffed up nose and sinuses.

Source: This tip is all over the internet. Google cinnamon and honey, or honey and cinnamon for a cold remedy.

Take a 6 inch ginger root and slice it. Put it in a non-aluminum pot with about 3 cups of fresh water. Cover the pot tightly and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer (not boil) for 20 minutes. Remove from stove and add the juice of half a lemon, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and honey to taste. A wonderful remedy for bronchitis and the flu.

By Suzanne S.