Next >︎
To Top

Collecting Social Security Benefits

I'm 63 and working full-time. When should I start collecting my Social Security?

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ


Collecting Social Security Benefits


You need to either call the toll free 800 number 1-800-772-1213 for info or have them make an appointment for you to talk to a representative at your nearest SSA office. They will give you a very accurate benefit estimate, discuss how your current amount of wages/self-employment affects the amount that can or cannot be paid, and tell you when you are first eligible to receive benefits.

If your wages are not too high, you may be able to receive a partial benefit. If they are too high, it will not pay for you to file until you are ready to retire or work part-time. You will need your SSN number, date of birth, estimate of what you will earn this year, amount that you made last year, and info on any deceased spouse(s) or divorced one(s) (if married for 10 years+). This is a free service and is very helpful for your retirement planning. I am a retired SSA employee. You do not need to pay for this service. Good luck. (01/21/2009)


By Francie

Collecting Social Security Benefits

I suggest to call your SS office, I think you can get it at age 62, not sure. Good luck. (01/21/2009)

By Kathleen

Collecting Social Security Benefits

Go to and use their calculator online to figure out whether you should keep working to increase your monthly benefits or start taking them when you're eligible. Your date of birth determines when you are eligible to collect your full benefit. There are lots of pros and cons about whether to work longer and collect more or start collecting as soon as you're eligible. Your health, family longevity, lifestyle, etc. would have some bearing on that. Good luck. (01/21/2009)

By fionarx

Collecting Social Security Benefits

Yes, definitely call the SS office. It will depend on how much money you currently earn, how long you want to work (full or part time) and the amount of benefits you are currently entitled to.


If you currently earn a good income (benefits are considered as part of yearly income and will affect/increase your tax base) and you want to work for three more years (next "raise" is at 66) then you might want to wait until 66 in order to receive the "raise" you'll be eligible for.

And if you're one who is earning a good income and in good health and want to wait until 70 then the "raise" is even higher. You have to weigh all factors. Good luck. (01/22/2009)

By Deeli

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Social Security Card
Filing for Social Security
Next >︎
October 3, 2009
Social Security Survivor Benefits
Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits
Older Couple Organizing Their Social Security Paperwork
Organizing Social Security Paperwork
Child Support Payments and Social Security, Paper entitled Child Support Hearing.
Child Support Payments and Social Security
Photo of a social security card and a calculator.
Is Age 62 the Best Time to Start Drawing Social Security?
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/10/11 00:22:37 in 619 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!