Collecting a Deceased Sibling's Social Security

There can be very rare situations where you could collect a dead brother or sister's Social Security benefits. This is a guide about collecting a deceased sibling's Social Security.

I was told I could collect my deceased sister's Social Security and I was wondering if that is true. So if someone could please let me know thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry, but whoever told you this was not very well informed but you should go to your local SS office and pose the question as they will give you the correct information as there may be extenuating circumstances that only you will know how to answer.
Be sure to have your sister's SS number but it is possible SS will not discuss anything about your sister with you unless you have a good legal reason.

Unless you were her dependent, I don't see how that is going to happen. Usually spouses and children get Social Security survivor benefits.

Usually siblings and cousins are not included in the surviving family member benefit system. I would contact your local SS office.

If you are her only surviving heir, make sure you explore any retirement plans that she contributed to at work. You may be entitled to claim those funds.