General AdviceLegal

Collecting a Deceased Sibling's Social Security

I was told I could collect my deceased sister's Social Security and I was wondering if that is true. So if someone could please let me know thank you.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Unless you were her dependent, I don't see how that is going to happen. Usually spouses and children get Social Security survivor benefits.

Usually siblings and cousins are not included in the surviving family member benefit system. I would contact your local SS office.

If you are her only surviving heir, make sure you explore any retirement plans that she contributed to at work. You may be entitled to claim those funds.

Only in rare cases could this happen, such as if she raised you and the paperwork for her to be your guardian were filed in court and you are under 18. If you were the only surviving family member, and responsible for her funeral and burial, you might be able to collect the one time death benefit of $225. But, you would need to contact the social security office to find out. You will need to have yours and hers social security numbers to start with, and then they may need more info later.

Sorry, but whoever told you this was not very well informed but you should go to your local SS office and pose the question as they will give you the correct information as there may be extenuating circumstances that only you will know how to answer.

Be sure to have your sister's SS number but it is possible SS will not discuss anything about your sister with you unless you have a good legal reason.