Cooking Acorn and Spaghetti Squash

At the last Farmers Market for the year, I bought an acorn squash and a spaghetti squash. Now what do I do with them? I have never cooked squash before and I am 70.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

I love it so much,its very easy to cook. Wash, cut in half.face open side down in like a cake pan.cover or wrap in foil put in a preheated oven of 350' for about 20minutes. Take it out and let it continue to steam (when you wash it off make sure you leave it moist) when it is at the temp. that you can comfortably handle it ,just take a spoon (I use ice cream scoop) dish it out. Perfect, every time, it looks and tastes like spaghetti! It is so full of protein, vitamins, antioxidants not found in regular spaghetti.Instead of eating a bowl of carbs you have a " good for you" dish,that tastes great.

You will be able to tell when its done,it scoops out really easily. If your oven runs low just put in 400' keep an eye on it. If you want you can add the same toppings you would to pasta, however, I love it just the way it comes out in my bowl. Please let me know how it turns out!

Put the acorn squash in the oven after cutting it in half and cleaning the seeds out. When the squash is soft (about an hour in the oven or ten minutes in the microwave) add butter and sugar to it. Lovely. I do not know about the other squash as I have never cooked one. Check the acorn squash as you cook it because they are different sizes.

Spaghetti Squash: Cut squash along length and remove seeds. To Bake: Place cut side down and cook at 350F for 45 minutes turning over for the last 10 minutes. To Microwave: Cover with clear wrap. Cook 7-10 minutes in ¼ cup water. Pull out vegetable strands with fork. Add salt and pepper, spices, bacon bits, Parmesan, white sauce, or spaghetti sauce.

I've got quite a few additional recipes if you are interested.

The spagetti squash can be used as --spagetti--. Cut the squash across the middle, not from top to bottom, as I recall, as this keeps the strands longer. If it is fairly large, cut across lower, then higher, not just across the middle. Scrape the seeds out, place the pieces of squash either in a flat pan, with a small amount of water, cover and bake until the squash is soft, but I usually bake them in the microwave, takes less time, for sure. After the squash is soft, easy to separate the fibers, you will find that you have spagetti like strands. Pull them all out, place in a container, keep warm, and use with any sauce you choose. We have done marinara as well as the Alfredo sauces, but it is also delicious done with a light coating of basil pesto, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. We like that because we make our own. I will be 73 this mo. and I think we are never too old to try new foods, or learn new things. God put us here to learn and grow. Hope this has helped. Loretta from Alabama

I like to cook my spaghetti squash, whole, in the microwave. Make sure you poke it all over with a meat fork, or it will explode!