Cooking Freezer Burned Meat

Freezer burn does not make food unsafe, merely dry in spots. It appears as grayish-brown leathery spots and is caused by air reaching the surface of the food. Simply cut these portions away either before or after cooking.

By Ron from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I ran across a method using Cool Whip topping to slather on frozen freezer burned meat. I have only tried this on some Rib Eye and T Bone steaks. With such high dollar meat, I really didn't want to throw them out. I placed the steaks on a spread layer of the Cool Whip on a tray. I slathered more all over the top and sides. No meat was showing through the Cool Whip. I left it to defrost, for several hours at room temperature. I have also done this by placing the meat into the refrigerator. Results were surprising. I could not detect freezer burn at all. My wife, who will not eat anything freezer burned(I've tried using it in a stew), to her credit tried the steak, and couldn't detect the bad freezer burn flavor. It was gone. We both enjoyed the steaks. The only drawback is if you are used to using a flavored marinade, you won't be able to using this method. We usually only put pepper on ours anyways. Try this on your freezer burned steak. The information I saw on this said it was something to do with the non dairy aspect of Cool Whip. I don't have an explanation, but now I always buy Cool whip for just such emergencies., not just for desert.

Top Comment

It's safe, no problem.

Don't do it.

Anonymous

I've found if you soak the frozen meet in a brine of salt and hot water to defrost the meet it will be just as good.

I use Ice Cream salt about 1/2 cup of Ice Cream salt with 1 gallon of very hot water. leave in water till completely thawed out.
then rinse really good with hot water. season and cook. you could also marinate it after being de-thawed this way
I've done this for years and have never had any problems with the meat or taste.