Cooking for an Elderly Person

Woman Cooking for an Elderly Person
When cooking for an elderly parent or friend there are some considerations to keep in mind when planning the meals. This is a guide about cooking for an elderly person.

I am practically living with my grandfather now. As I've been staying here, I've realized he mostly eats boiled potatoes. I wanted to surprise him with dinner and I was wondering what to make him. He has no teeth and no gallbladder.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

By Rebekkah from Whitwell, TN

I haven't had teeth since about 1975. I do have dentures that I received in 1984, but I can eat better without them in, than when I am wearing them. There are some things that a lot of people can't eat, even with dentures. Your grandpa should be able to eat a basic hamburger patty. Peas and/or well cooked carrots could be eaten. Mac and cheese or sweet pototoes would work too. Sometimes for a quick lunch I make some instant potatoes and then melt a couple of slices of cheese on top of them.

Try some homemade soups. There should be more nutrients than just potatoes.

He should be able to eat pasta and sauce, as well.

With no gallbladder, just take care that he doesn't eat anything too greasy, as that can cause diarrhea.

You could make him a nice roast in the crockpot, as they always make any cuts of meats fork tender, and easy enough to eat even if you have no teeth or dentures. If he likes potatoes, add some to the crock, along with carrots and onions.

If he likes spaghetti, you could make some, just sub macaroni type noodles for the long spaghetti noodles.

The missing gall bladder means nothing usually. However, I think you should ask him what he likes. I know you want to surprise him but he probably would love to have a meal of his favorite foods. Also he could tell you what he can eat. He probably likes the potatoes but it might also be the only thing he knows how to make.