Cooking with Dairy Products

Category Dairy
Macaroni and Cheese
Milk, half and half, heavy cream, cheeses and butter are all dairy products used in preparation of all kinds of foods. This guide is about cooking with dairy products.

Always keep a quart of reconstituted non-fat dry milk product mixed up with water in the refrigerator, ready to use in cooking. Label clearly. Then you can save on having to use regular drinking milk for cooking purposes. Much more economical.

By Ronsan

If making anything with cream or milk; be it quiche, sauce, gravy or even cream in your coffee; ALWAYS add a pinch or two of nutmeg. It's one the things that make ya go Hmmmm! And everyone else will say Yummm!

Someone recently recommended fresh dairy cream as a treatment to get rid of pitting on the skin like from blemishes. Where would you buy 'fresh' dairy cream? What is dairy cream? I live in Houston, Texas, USA and if there is an equivalent of 'fresh dairy cream' I'd love to know about it.

Best Answer

All cream is dairy cream, and if it is still sweetsmelling, then it's still fresh. BTW, it won't help your skin. The cream contains some fat which helps seal in moisture, which causes slight swelling, so your skin will look a teensy bit better for a few minutes. Main thing is, it won't do any harm unless you're severely lactose intolerant.

Best Answer

This idea dates back to the days when women wanted to have their skin be very, very fashionable pale. Long before tan was in. They believed that putting white dairy products on the skin would make their skin somehow become more white. It was purely superstitious sympathetic magic.

Scars can be treated by your Dermatologist.

Best Answer

Milk and buttermilk is actually really good for skin. It has malic and lactic acid and is a natural cleanser.

Many American recipes use the term "half and half". What does this mean?

Christine from Sydney, Australia

Best Answer

1/2 & 1/2 is a mixture of half whole milk and half cream.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Half and half can usually be substituted with "Light Cream", "Coffee Cream", or "Table Cream". When I lived in Massachusetts I usually bought light cream for my coffee and it seemed like about the same thing as half and half.

Can fat-free half & half be frozen?

Judy from Riverside, CA

Best Answer

I don't know about freezing, but there are a lot of things you can freeze. You might want to check the ingredients on the label. When they make things fat free, they add lots of sugar or the like &/or hydrogenated oils, which cause all kinds of things like cancer. Personally I think the extra fat is a much lesser evil.

Best Answer

I do all the time and it doesn't change a bit of the product. I love the half and half fat free. Tastes the same as the fat one to me.

What is sour half and half?

By Anthony from Franklin Square, NY

It's wonderful for homemade pancake batter.

My favorite is sour milk cookies....google it for a choice of recipes.