Using Suspended Ceiling Tiles

Category Miscellaneous
Finding a solution for ugly drop ceiling panels that doesn't cost a fortune, can be a remodeling challenge. This guide is about Using suspended ceiling tiles.

I searched everywhere on the web to find a solution for the ugly drop ceiling panels on my ceiling when I decided to move our bedroom to the basement.

Replacement panels in metal and wood are beautiful, but very costly. I tried standard wallpaper which was beautiful, but realized it wasn't long enough for all the panels and would require commercial grade to get the lengths I needed which is costly. I tried painting them. Yuck! To spray texture would have also been expensive.

So, I purchased flannel backed, vinyl fabric that is extra wide from the long bolts at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon. They sold me what they had and ordered the rest to make 21 yards, which is what I figured I needed for a 12 X 18 room. The fabric I chose has a white on white damask floral print.

I removed the panels and painted the gray metal supports to match the fabric. I cut the fabric into the standard squares using the same pattern, since most of the squares in the middle were the same size. The ones around the edges had to be premeasured and fitted.

I used spray adhesive to secure the fabric to the panels. I ironed each panel using the low acrylic setting and a double sheet to protect it from burning and got beautiful results. The total cost of my endeavors was $50 for the fabric on sale, $8 for 2 cans of spray adhesive. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and did it by myself. The only negative is that it is very messy, but it's also a good time to check the wiring and spray for spiders and other bugs that like getting into your basement ceiling.

By Cherith from Concord, NC

What is the best solution to replace an old home with the 12" celing tile used in the 70's? It is an old home and we want to restore it to the original victorian design. It has the original plaster and then wood strips that the tile are stapled to.

LTZ from Columbus, OH

Answers

We created the look of an old pressed tin ceiling by wallpapering over the ceiling tiles with an embosed paterned wallpaper. It looks great and
we get a lot of complements.

At Lowes and Home Depot you can actually buy ceiling tiles made of plastic or vinyl that look just like the old tin ceiling tiles when painted. I think they are applied to the ceiling with some type of adhesive. The previous post suggested the wallpaper which sounds like a great idea with less work time overall and maybe easier to remove with less damage to the ceiling when you want a change. Tori

We got ours from http://www.ashtonclarke.ca and it was cheaper (and looked better) than doing it with the foam ones at home hardware!