Cream of Chestnut Soup Recipes
Fall is chestnut time, but take a step beyond just roasting them and make a delicious cream soup. This page contains cream of chestnut soup recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This recipe is more affordable, if you buy jarred chestnuts after the holidays. They are much cheaper. It is really delicious and satisfying in the cold weather.
Total Time: 30 minutes to assemble, 1 hour to cook
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Williams Sonoma Class
- 1 24 oz. oz jar of peeled chestnuts (can also use 1 pound fresh)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 lb Canadian bacon, diced (I used turkey bacon)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (10 inch cheesecloth with parsley, thyme, bay leaf and a few peppercorns)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cream
- salt and white pepper
- Peel chestnuts, if you are using fresh.
- Heat oil in a large pot. add the bacon and the onion and fry for 2 minutes. Don't brown. Then add the celery, carrots and bouquet garni, and stir the mixture.
- Pour in the stock and season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the peeled chestnuts. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour, or until chestnuts are soft.
- Discard bouquet garni.
- Allow soup to cool slightly.
- Blend the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender.
- Add the cream.
Note: Add a little soup and cream in a separate bowl. Then add to the soup. If you add cold cream to hot soup the cream will curdle.
- Ladle into bowls.
October 12, 20150 found this helpful
What a great idea--will definitely have to try this!