Creamed Corn Recipes

Category Vegetables
making creamed corn
Creamed corn is easy to make at home and is a great side dish to many main courses. This page contains creamed corn recipes.

Ingredients

• can of whole kernel corn
  • chunk of butter
  • 1 Tbsp. corn starch
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • medium onion
  • 1 tsp. sugar

Directions

Drain most, not all, of the liquid from a can of corn and pour corn in blender. Add butter, corn starch, milk, onion and sugar. Blend on chop so it is not pulverized.

Cook on stove top in non stick skilled until onion is done and corn is thickened or cook in oven. Tastes like fresh cream style corn.

By Iva from Porter, TX

Does anyone know where I can get a wooden bowl to make creamed corn with? I know it's an old item but I don't know where to get it from. Thank you.

Cheryl

Not sure how thick you want the wooden bowl to be but I bought some on ebay that were reasonably thick or you could try thrift stores. I have seen them there a lot.

Anonymous

I can't help wonder why you need a wooden bowl to make creamed corn :-o I've always prepared mine in a saucepan and then froze or canned ...

Try your local thrift/secondhand store, its amazing what you find in there. Our goodwill has all sorts of items like wooden bowls and such.

I'm assuming you want it to be wooden so you can smash up the kernels? They have really nice wooden mortar/pestles at TJMaxx recently. If you have one of those you could check it out... (They seem to buy up old stuff and distribute it pretty evenly among their stores, so you can usually find the same general stuff from store to store even when its overstock/flawed items from more expensive dept stores)

Amazon

How do you make cream of corn? I have a bunch of corn and would like to make it into cream of corn. Sounds easy, I just have never done it before.

Thanks,
Dora

Answers:

Homemade Cream of Corn

I stand the ear on one end and slice the kernels off starting with the knife at the top of the ear. I first slice a thin slice of the top of the kernels. After I slice a layer, I scrape the ear down starting at the top again. The scraping makes the cream part.

When I put the kernels and the scraping in the pan I add about 1/2 cup on water and just before serving I add salt and pepper. I cook the corn in a frying pan and add a little more water as it thickens. (10/07/2005)

By Martha

Homemade Cream of Corn

Dora honey, that's one of the easiest things I've ever learned from my Mother. Remove shucks & silks first, wash. Take a deep bowl or pot and stand the ear big side down. Take a sharp knife and cut corn top to bottom leaving 1/2 on cob, then go back down scraping corn to get the "milk" as its called.

I use my iron frying pan (it seems to have better flavor when I use it) and melt butter(2T or so)put your corn in and stir in salt/pepper, cover and cook for approx 5-7 min on low heat. It's the best way I've fixed it for my family.

I have never written this down so I hope I didn't confuse anyone.If you want you can mix 1/2 teaspoon to a tablespoon of flour or corn starch(no pun intended) with approx 1 cup of water or milk to make it creamy.Its very good with out it too! Jackie (10/07/2005)

By Greeneyesmom

Homemade Cream of Corn

Creamed Fresh Corn

Ingredients

• 4 ears corn
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

Cut corn from cob, scraping cob to remove pulp. Combine corn and sugar. Chill 1 hour. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add corn. Cook 1 minute. Stir in pepper. Gradually add whipping cream, stirring constantly. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring corn frequently. Stir in salt.

Yummy, Happy eating!
(10/07/2005)

By Connie A.

Homemade Cream of Corn

If you have oodles of corn that you want to do - got to http://www.peasandcorn.com and order a Corn Creamer.
They are certainly worth the money and so easy to use. When you scrape the corn on this gadget, you get the milk as well. Can't live without mine. (10/07/2005)

By Annie

Homemade Cream of Corn

Best corn ever. Remove corn from 18 ears of corn. place in large roaster like the one used for turkey. Pour 1 pint of half-half over and sprinkle with 1/4 sugar. Bake for one hour at 350. Stir every 15 minutes.Bag and freeze. It's great (10/07/2005)