Crochet With Scrap Fabric

I have a rather large fabric collection. We decided to paint our new bathroom a pumpkin color. It looks very nice, but hard to match for accessories. So, I decided to crochet a rug using my left over fabric.

I researched it on the web and found different ideas and patterns. I chose to cut my materials into 1 inch strips and use a Q crochet hook. I am half way through and it looks great. It's a pain to sew the strips together, but so much better then throwing the fabric out!

By Diane from Adirondacks, NY

4 More Solutions

Ever run across an "ugly" piece of fabric? Cannot imagine any use for it? Cut into 1/2 to 1 inch strips and either crochet or knit it into a rug! Great for those entry points to you house to keep the "crud" out or for pets to use as a bed!

We took several well worn towels out of our RV that had become favorites and "old stand-bys". They are getting a new life; crocheted into a rug, mat, seat cushion, or other useful item.

Does anyone know how to knit or crochet a purse with strips of fabric?

Linda

Answers

By Diane (Guest Post)

One time I bought some very pretty fabric on sale and after I decided to make a skirt with it, I still ended up with a ton of it left, so I knitted a sweater to match with the remaining fabric. Just lay it out flat on the floor and start at one side (side A), and cut a strip 1/2 inch wide, stopping 1/2 inch before you get to the edge (of side B). Then go 1/2 inch below where you stopped (on side B) and cut all the way across back to side A, stopping before you go all the way to the edge. Keep doing this until all your fabric is cut. You end up with one big long strand that you can crochet or knit with, just like you would a piece of yarn. It frays a little, but that just adds character, and it was very durable, I had it for years and ended up getting tired of it before it wore out. Also there are just tons of free patterns for purses on line if you need one. I hope this helps you out. Have fun.

I found kits at Joann.com and also at my local walmart store. The brand name is "Fabri Knit". They come with everything you need (except knitting needles). The fabric is already cut and it includes embelishments,handle and instructions.
I am sure you could croquet the fabric as well.

By Leslie (Guest Post)

There's a pattern in the book Creative Crochet (leisure Arts Publicaton) for Quick Soft and Roomy Tote. It's made using 2" wide strips of cloth, size Q hook.

By Leslie (Guest Post)

By Deb (Guest Post)

Here's a link to detailed instructions on HGTV to knit one...
www.hgtv.com/.../0,1789,HGTV_3227_2803674,00.html. If the link doesn't work, go to www.hgtv.com and search "Knitted Fabric Empress Purse."

Answer this Question

You can recycle clothes and ugly fabric by cutting the fabric into strips. This method is great for floor mats, and bedspreads.

Crafts CrochetFebruary 15, 2013
👔
🌻
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crochet-With-Scrap-Fabric.html