CrochetCrafts

Crocheted and Woven Plastic Basket

Vote for this contest contender!

I have had this basket for about a year now. I wanted it to be more than just a place to throw my junk mail for recycling. So I "prettified" it!

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 1

1. The first thing I realized is if I crocheted a continuous strip, I would be outside of one end and inside of another. This made for a bit more work.
  2. So I had to make 3 short end pieces for each end. This filled the even numbered holes. My weave was a chain 3, making a single crochet in the next two stitches. Turn and continue on for whatever length you need for your basket.
  3. Ad
  4. The next thing that went wrong is that the long side had an odd number of holes. This meant it had a center and weaving didn't work like the even numbered sides. I had to get creative.
  5. I measured what was needed for the left and right number of holes from the center. Then I crocheted that length times two for each of the three colors. Woven in, it left a center hole to deal with. But I was not to be swayed!
  6. Ad
  7. I crocheted a small strip and wrapped it inside the center holes and glued them all down inside.
  8. It was done. I showed you a couple ways to use it, but the possibilities are many. First is for craft jars. Then for 4 Delft Blue mugs filled with faux flowers.
  9. Ad
  10. You can also use it for your office for manila envelopes, tablets, or mail/bills.
  11. It would also be nice for a wall hanging for flowers, etc. You could use it as a charging station for your tablet, phone, or iPad.
  12. One of the reasons I left the back undone that I want to hang it on the wall for some souvenirs, but you can fill it in if you want. You can also use ribbon, bakers string, lace, etc. N-JOY!!
  13. Ad