DIY Beetroot Powder

Category Drying
Use beets to make a healthy addition to smoothies and soups. This powdered beetroot is easy to make at home and adds a beautiful color to any food.

I love beetroot powder for many reasons. They're great for naturally dyeing foods, wonderful for making beautiful beet powder lattes, are excellent as a bright pigment for your homemade beauty products, and the list goes on. The problem with buying beetroot powders from stores and online shops is the very big price tag they come with, and the risk that it might not be fresh. Follow along to see how you can make your own from scratch at home in about an hour's time.

You might want to use latex gloves for this as it can be a bright red mess, but I find soap and water cleans it all off just fine. If you live in a hot enough area and don't want to use your oven, you can use direct sunlight to dry the beets. It will just take several more hours.

Total Time: About 1 hour

• fresh beets
  • vegetable peeler or knife
  • parchment paper
  • baking sheet
  • grater
  • oven
  • fork
  • spice grinder or mortar and pestle

1. Preheat oven to 200 F. Remove the top and and tip of the beets, then peel off the skin.
  2. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, then grate the beets directly onto the sheet.
  3. Use your fork to scatter the grated beets in a nice thin layer. The less they touch, the better. Place in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, fluffing it with a fork every 10 minutes.
  4. Leave the oven on at 200 F, but keep its door opened a bit. Continue to bake for about 20 minutes. This will rid all humidity from the beets and allow them to fully dry up.
  5. Remove from oven. They will cool down quickly. Transfer to grinder or mortar and pestle and work into a find powder. It won't take much effort at all. This powder is now ready to use. Store in airtight container away from heat and sunlight.

Yummy, beets! They're so healthy, and I know I don't eat enough of them. Love them grated on salads, and pickled.

Beet powder, yes, you can add that to so many things and get a concentrated dose, instead of having to eat a pound of them to get the benefits, so your beet powder is wonderful!

Thank you! :)

Yes! A concentrated form that's pretty darn fresh! :) Eatings lots of beets in one go can sometimes taste a bit.... earthy!

Your post reminded me of when I was a kid and used a beet to make a tie dye shirt! Thanks for sharing this! I never heard of a beet powder latte! I will have to Google that! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! I bet the shirts were cute!!!

Food and Recipes DryingAugust 5, 2019
🎄
🍂