First AidHealth & Beauty

DIY Reusable Soft Ice Pack

Vote for this contest contender!

My husband and I were on holiday when he had a brutal accident whilst playing football with our nieces and nephews, tearing all the ligaments in his ankle. We were lucky enough that we were able to find medical attention in a vast area overseas, but we needed quick comfort for his swelling, without it being a bag of frozen veggies with sharp angles.

Combine equal parts vodka and water, then soak it up with a piece of cloth. Throw the whole thing into a plastic bag, then place it in the freezer to set up. You can also use rubbing alcohol, but we were on holiday and vodka seemed to be more readily available! The mixture will freeze soft-set due to the alcohol content inside, changing the freezing point, making it more comfortable on your body. You can keep popping this into the freezer to use over and over again.

This is a good tip to remember but I believe I will continue using alcohol (I don't think my son would appreciate me using his Vodka) but you use whatever is available in time of need.

I keep this ready in my freezer "just in case" it is needed.

I hope there was no permanent injury and you were able to continue your vacation.

Our vacation turned into TV watching due to his pain and not being able to walk, but that's okay because we were all together! :)

That sure is a good idea.

Oh yes, just plain water would freeze it into a stiff cloth, and the alcohol keeps it nice and soft.

That's a real good thing to know for when something like that is needed.

So sorry to hear about your husband getting hurt. Hope all is well:)

Things are much better but still there. This definitely helped. I know you can use dishwashing liquid in there, too, but we had none :)