DIY Shirt Folding Board

Category Clothing
You too can have perfectly stacked shirts, like the ones you see at the store. This DIY shirt folding board is easy to make with items you likely have around the house. Using a folding board helps you fold all of your shirts the same size, making it easier to put them away.

My mum was recently poking at me because as I was folding laundry, all the shirts had slightly different widths and fold variations. What can I say? I did not inherit her folding perfectionist gene (jokes aside, she is an origami professional). She probably gave me my 468th lesson on how to fold them uniformly, but they were still all ugly, and lots of time was wasted. Enter my homemade shirt folding board. All it takes is a big cardboard box, scissors, and some tape. You'll be folding clothes uniformly, 10 times as fast. Mum may call this cheating, but the perfectly folded shirts were very much approved.

You can vary on the dimensions for your board panels. If you have much larger shirts, you can cut add some inches to the dimensions I've provided here. I wear small tops so this was perfect. You can always measure your average shirt to see what would be a good fold size for you and wherever you store them. This works for long sleeved shirts, as well.

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1 board

• 1 large cardboard box
  • sharp craft scissors or box cutter
  • tape measurer
  • pencil
  • duct or masking tape

1. Cut open any tape that's holding the box together. Don't cut into the cardboard.
  2. Unfold the box into one big piece.
  3. Cut into 4 large rectangular segments. Make sure the 2 biggest pieces are at least 22.25" x 13.75" in size.
  4. Cut one of the other pieces of cardboard so it's at least 17.5" x 8.25", then cut in half.
  5. You will have 2 big rectangles and 2 smaller squarish pieces. Lay the 2 smaller pieces between the 2 big rectangles, as pictured.
  6. Tape the two small pieces together. One piece of tape on front, one piece on the back.
  7. Tape the 2 rectangles on either side of them. The tape will look like a big H.
  8. Cut the tape up the sides of the lower square only, then tuck the tape in nicely. This is so you can fold the lower square upwards later on.
  9. Place a shirt face-down on the folding board.
  10. Lift the left side panel and fold it over the shirt.
  11. Advertisement

12. Put the left panel back.
  13. Lift the right side panel and fold it over the shirt.
  14. Put the right panel back, then fold the lower panel up onto the shirt.
  15. Put the lower panel back.
  16. Flip the shirt over. All done! Repeat, be stunned by the uniformity, and save lots of time. :)

That will make the dreaded laundry day so much easier...Thank you!

Guarantee you'll love it.. and have fun!

Thank you so much for these instructions! I have seen these folding boards before but had no idea how to make one.

With your clear, detailed instructions, I am sure that I can do it now.

I'm so happy you will do it, Janice! Good luck and have fun fast-folding! :)

Organizing ClothingSeptember 10, 2019
🎃
🌻
🎂