Making a Layered-Look T-Shirt

Category Shirts
It can be easy to add more color and length to a t-shirt by repurposing parts of an old shirt. This is a guide about making a layered look t-shirt.

Want to update your tops? Grab your husband's old T-shirts that you are now using for rags!

Approximate Time: 1 Hour

Instructions:

Cut four inches from the bottom of an old t-shirt. (Generally the bottom part is still in great condition.) You will want to use the existing hem as the hem to the bottom of your update layered T-shirt/blouse.)

After cutting the four inch strip of white t-shirt, use one inch for a hem. Fold the hem toward the finished edge of the white t-shirt. (By folding over you will have a 1/2 inch hem and a nice finished line with no raggedy edging.

Pin to the inside of the peach shirt so you are able to sew on to the sewing thread line for the existing hem of the blouse.

As you can see in the picture, I have hand stitched the side seam for a clean look.

Enjoy!

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a great idea! I've had a couple shirts shrink in the laundry, the top part still fits but the length is too short. This is a great fix so I can still wear them. Thanks!

By Janet (Guest Post)

This is a great idea, but it made me smile for an altogether different reason. My husband wears a small and I an extra large. I can just imagine trying to squeeze into my t-shirt after I've sewn the hem of his old t-shirt onto the bottom! :-)

Probably work if I sewed two of his skinny little t-shirt hems together to make them twice as long...

It's rough being married to a naturally skinny man!

:-) :-) :-)

This is a great idea. Thanks so much.

tee hee, I agree with Janet (about my size)..would also be good if one t-shirt got a stain on it, you could save the bottom.....but I have a teenage daughter that loves that stuff and the prices in stores is pricey so will be trying this..thanx for sharing :0)