Layered Green Salad Recipes

Category Salads
Leafy greens can be layered with meats, cheeses and other veggies to create an old fashioned salad. This guide contains recipes for layered green salad.

• 1 head lettuce
  • 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 medium onion, sliced paper thin
  • 1 cup cooked chilled peas
  • 1/4 lbs. Swiss cheese
  • 6 slices cooked crisp bacon

Directions:

Place a layer of crisp lettuce in small chunks in a large wooden bowl. Spoon over the mayonnaise and spread thinly. Add a layer of sliced onions. Sprinkle onions lightly with sugar. Add a layer of cooked, chilled peas and a layer of Swiss cheese cut into julienne strips and bacon. Repeat layers until you have the quantity desired. Use no salt or pepper and do not toss. Refrigerate 1 1/2 - 2 hours, no more. Great with chopped celery, water chestnuts, green peppers also.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 1 head lettuce
  • 1 pkg. frozen peas
  • 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp
  • 1 green pepper, sliced in rings
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • Ad

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice

Directions:

In a large bowl (not plastic) break lettuce in bite size pieces; layer. Add frozen uncooked peas; sprinkle with celery and onion. Spread mayonnaise over top. Crumble bacon over top. Garnish with rings of green peppers. Cover and add clear plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. Do not stir.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 head broken lettuce
  • 1 pkg. fresh spinach, cut up
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 1 pkg. frozen peas (small)
  • 6 hard boiled eggs, cut up
  • 1 lb. bacon, fried, crumbled
  • 2 c. mayonnaise
  • 2 c. sour cream
  • 1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese

Directions

Layer as follows: lettuce, spinach, onions, peas, eggs and bacon. Mix mayonnaise with sour cream. Spread on top and seal edges. Sprinkle on dry ranch mix. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and let set for 8 hours before serving. Toss together before serving.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This is a layered salad. In a 9x13 inch pan, spread layers in this order:

1. Medium head of iceberg lettuce chopped or shredded.
  2. Approximately 2.5 cups chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion (more or less to personal taste), and 1/8-1/4 cup chopped green pepper (more or less to taste). Mix and spread on top of lettuce.
  3. 1 16 oz. package of frozen peas. Get a good name brand of your choice. Spread while frozen, do not cook.
  4. Spread approx. 3/4 of the large size jar (28oz.) of Best Foods Mayonnaise, enough to cover peas well.
  5. Top mayonnaise with approximately 3 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese.
  6. Sprinkle 2 jars of Hormel's "Real Bacon Bits" (NOT IMITATION) on cheese. Refrigerate overnight.

Happy Eating! This may not sound like much, but it is so good!

Source: This is my mother's recipe. Its been in our family since I can remember. She is 85 and I wouldn't know where she got it from. Her name is Janet, from Athens, Ohio. It doesn't sound like much, but this is the most yummy mix of flavors once it sits overnight. It is always the hit of any potluck, picnic, etc. I am always asked for the recipe every time I make it.

By Alicel515 from Saratoga Springs, Utah

Answers:

Layered Green Salad

This is also called 7 layer salad. My mother also makes it, it is so addicting! (09/17/2008)

By Carole L

Layered Green Salad

Yes, this is called the 7 layered salad. We, also, put a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs in this. Very good. To make it a little on the tart side, some recipes call for Miracle Whip on top, then crumbled bacon. (09/17/2008)

By Malinda

Layered Green Salad

I have been making this salad for over 25 years the only difference in mine is on the layer of mayo I then sprinkle sugar enough to cover mayo then I finish up with the bacon and cheese.
The first time I took this to my husbands family reunion by the time I got to it the only thing left in the bowl was the lettuce, all the goody layers were GONE! I have since learned to toss the salad just before the line starts! (09/18/2008)

By Margy

Layered Green Salad

Thank you my sister used to make this and is too busy
and forgets to send recipe. I had forgotten I wanted
it till now. Thank you. (09/19/2008)

By Annie Rios Hill