LaundryOrganizing

DIY Shirt Folding Board

Vote for this contest contender!

My mum was recently poking at me because as I was folding laundry, all the shirts had slightly different widths and fold variations. What can I say? I did not inherit her folding perfectionist gene (jokes aside, she is an origami professional). She probably gave me my 468th lesson on how to fold them uniformly, but they were still all ugly, and lots of time was wasted. Enter my homemade shirt folding board. All it takes is a big cardboard box, scissors, and some tape. You'll be folding clothes uniformly, 10 times as fast. Mum may call this cheating, but the perfectly folded shirts were very much approved.

You can vary on the dimensions for your board panels. If you have much larger shirts, you can cut add some inches to the dimensions I've provided here. I wear small tops so this was perfect. You can always measure your average shirt to see what would be a good fold size for you and wherever you store them. This works for long sleeved shirts, as well.

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1 board

1. Cut open any tape that's holding the box together. Don't cut into the cardboard.
  2. Unfold the box into one big piece.
  3. Cut into 4 large rectangular segments. Make sure the 2 biggest pieces are at least 22.25" x 13.75" in size.
  4. Cut one of the other pieces of cardboard so it's at least 17.5" x 8.25", then cut in half.
  5. You will have 2 big rectangles and 2 smaller squarish pieces. Lay the 2 smaller pieces between the 2 big rectangles, as pictured.
  6. Tape the two small pieces together. One piece of tape on front, one piece on the back.
  7. Tape the 2 rectangles on either side of them. The tape will look like a big H.
  8. Cut the tape up the sides of the lower square only, then tuck the tape in nicely. This is so you can fold the lower square upwards later on.
  9. Place a shirt face-down on the folding board.
  10. Lift the left side panel and fold it over the shirt.
  11. Ad

12. Put the left panel back.
  13. Lift the right side panel and fold it over the shirt.
  14. Put the right panel back, then fold the lower panel up onto the shirt.
  15. Put the lower panel back.
  16. Flip the shirt over. All done! Repeat, be stunned by the uniformity, and save lots of time. :)

That will make the dreaded laundry day so much easier...Thank you!

Guarantee you'll love it.. and have fun!

Thank you so much for these instructions! I have seen these folding boards before but had no idea how to make one. With your clear, detailed instructions, I am sure that I can do it now.

I'm so happy you will do it, Janice! Good luck and have fun fast-folding! :)

I'm going to try this. I've got more T shirts than Carter's got liver pills. I fold them rather uniformly but if this will make it faster, I'm all for it.

Thanks

You always bring some crazy imagery to the table, Doug! Good luck with the board! :)

Attosa, just "last week" I was folding undershirts thinking to myself,
there HAS GOT TO BE a better way to make them all uniform, and without being such a pain to do, and then I see your post here! I'm in shock now, hahahahaha

Thank you soooo much for this tip, seriously, it was needed. :)

You are officially my TF soulmate. Hhahaha I love it! You've got to try this! :)

hahha that's hilarious! I do believe that, we are TF soulmates! :) hehe

And I am definitely going to make myself your shirt folder. This is really a great idea that will make that awful folding undershirts job that I don't like doing, much much better.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
The pictures make it so much easier for me to understand.

You're so welcome!