ColoringHair Tips

DIY Temporary Ombre Hair

I love to change the colour of my hair very often. To keep it super cheap (and fun) I do it myself at home. The trick is to skip on the $10-per-colour temporary hair chalks and use a $5 case of soft pastels from a craft store and have unlimited colors! This huge set was actually on sale at Michaels for $3 so it's been extra fun to change my hair colour more frequently, and also use more than one colour at a time. Here are some tips to get both light coloured hair and dark coloured hair to pop with soft pastels and get a nice smooth ombre look.

*Water alone can be used for a soft look and hairspray can be used for a bold look. Gloves are optional-- it can get messy if you do your whole head :)

Total Time: 20 minutes

1. For a soft touch of colour, section off a piece of your hair to be coloured. Spritz with water.
  2. Grab a soft pastel and drag it downward on your hair. Do not rub it back up your strand of hair, just down, several times over.
  3. Ad

4. You can also spritz water on the pastel then apply to your hair.
  5. For an ombre look, grab a similar colour to the first one and drag down the ends of your hair.
  6. Ad

7. If you want a super drastic pop of colour, or have naturally dark hair like I do, apply hairspray on your hair then immediately drag the pastels down.
  8. Once you've got your desired colour, go over your strands with a flat iron or curling iron to lock it in. This makes it last longer.
  9. Ad

So pretty! Thanks for the tips. This is the first method I've seen that works on darker hair. Can't wait to try it.

I could never get it to pop until this method. Hope you love it!

I get really irritated with naysayers. However, as an artist who works with pastel, I would have grave concerns about this. There are often dangerous chemicals in pastels and in a process of 'indirect application" which is my process and which raises a lot of "dust," so as not to ingest any of the tiny particles I usually work with a mask on . Fun and innovative as this sounds (kudos!), I am not sure how safe any of this is being breathed in during this process and once it dries. Please be very careful.

A mask and gloves is probably a good idea for these... And there are plenty of non-toxic versions :)

I did a little research and the very toxic ingredients in pastels have already been removed with safer alternatives. There is very little concern except perhaps with young children.

Thanks for writing this one. I've been wanting to try this forever!

You're welcome! I'd love to know how yours turns out!

Maybe "kid-safe" pastels? Doesn't this get all over pillowcase?

I haven't had issues of it getting everywhere but I also generally remove it after I wear it out :)