Dealing With Mean Girls at School

Category Self Help
Getting along with your peers can often be difficult and confusing, especially for school children. This is a guide about dealing with mean girls at school.

Everyone's being mean to me. I've asked why. I've said sorry, even though I haven't done anything. I don't know what to do?
Please help.

By shan

Answers

You didn't tell us how old you are. If you are in grade school, girls can be snotty because they haven't matured enough to learn empathy. In junior high, it's often they are not feeling good about themselves and this is their way to compensate.

Often times jealousy plays a big part.

When you say you are sorry for something you didn't do, you are admitting they are justified in their behavior. This gives them power to continue.

I would simply tell them that you have done nothing wrong, and that if they want to be nice and friendly, you welcome that. But, if "they" choose to be lesser people, then you simply accept it and ignore them.

No one does anything for very long without a pay off...it's just the way we are wired.

They will stop once you stop giving them someone to pick on. If they don't, or it turns physical, tell someone in authority.

I wish you well. Don't feel these girls define you. They don't. I don't know if you are a Taylor Swift fan, but one of her songs has a line in it that says "don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine".

Just keep shining!
Sandi/Poor But Proud

Sandi has some very good advice. It isn't always easy to do, but if your "friends" are being mean, they are not your friends, and the best thing to do is to get on with your life - do some other activities that don't involve them, make friends or hang out with other kids, join some other group or club that doesn't involve them. Some people are mean "for no reason", just for the sport of it. You don't need them in your life, either now or when you are grown up.

And, if these girls continue to bully you - with words, name calling, nasty remarks, pokes, tripping you, slaps, nasty comments on facebook, or by ostracizing you, report it to the teacher or councilor or principal at school if that is where it is happening, and to your parents. People take bullying very seriously nowadays.

The other two posters posts are "right on". People tend to pick on people who are basically sweet and not very confident about themselves. I know about this, as it has been a problem for me all my life (I am now 58.) Anyway, stop apologizing and get strong. Build your confidence in general. Don't "believe" it when people put you down (in words or actions.) (Don't say to yourself, what is wrong with me that they are doing this, say to yourself, what is wrong with them?) Make new friends and avoid these people every chance you get. And if it goes on much longer, report it loud and clear to your parents, school, etc.