Deer Resistant Plants

Deer in Garden
While deer can be beautiful to see in the wild and even in your neighborhood they are less welcome when they decide to dine on your shrubs and flowers. This is a guide about deer resistant plants.

Q: We enjoy having deer come into our backyard from the woods. If I planted a lilac bush, would it deter the deer from coming? Or do deer just not feed on lilac bushes?

Sandy from Alton, IL

A: Sandy,

Lilacs will not deter the deer from coming into your backyard. No plants will. Lilacs are considered deer-resistant, however, meaning that unless the deer in your area are feeling pressure from a lack of available food, chances are they will pass lilacs up in favor of other, more appealing plants. Supposedly, plants like catmint, lavender, thyme, sage and rosemary are also repulsive to deer. In fact, many plants with a strong smell, like marigolds for example, are likely to act as a grazing deterrent when planted near more tasty plants like your veggies, tulips or hosta. The only sure-fire way to deter deer from exploring your garden buffet is to have your dog stand watch in the yard or erect an 8-ft high fence. So go ahead and plant a lilac bush, just understand that you could eventually find yourself enjoying watching the deer while they nibble on its branches.

Ellen

No, a lilac bush will not deter the deer. In fact, they will eat it. You will probably never see it bloom and it will remain about the same height it was when you purchased it. I know. Deer are the biggest pests I know of. If you enjoy the deer coming into your yard then you must not have any annuals, perennials or young trees in your yard. I have had to do a lot of protecting here in my yard in order to see my 'stuff' bloom.

Wow! That's extreme! I have had no problem with deer when it comes to herbs (except parsley) or, as stated, strong-smelling plants. I'm the woman sniffing leaves at the garden center. They have mowed down hostas and lillies, among other things, I spray particular favorites with a mixture of egg and water in a Windex bottle and this has worked very well for me. Don't give up hope!

LOL! I found this thread while looking for info on how to deter deer from eating mylilacs during the winter.

Will deer feed on a burning bush? Thank you. Have a great day.

Clinton

Answers

I have a lot of deer that pass through my yard especially in winter. However, they never touch the burning bushes or the rhododendrons. But that is in my area.

What plants can we plant in a cemetery plot that deer will not eat, we have been so unsuccessful so far?

By Yvonne

Is lavender deer resistant? What about heather? Any suggestions for plants, vines, or flowers that can be grown at high altitude (over 9,000 feet) and are deer resistant? I know it is a lot to ask of a plant.
Thank you.

By Tracy G.