Dental Work Without Insurance in Northern California

I'm 22 yrs old, with no dental insurance. I live in Northern California. I don't make much, about 700 a month. I need dental work pretty badly. I'm worried if my teeth get bad I'll lose my job, plus it's not healthy. :/

Any advice on where to go or anything helps. Thanks.

By Sierra S.

Best Answer

Look around and see if there are any dental schools near you. They generally offer discounted dental plans and are well supervised by dental instructors. Generally, only the advanced students at the end of their education near graduation are allowed to work on clients. Also, call your state dental association and ask if there is a dentist near you that has a budget plan. You are eligible for Obama care with such a low income. Have you looked into that?
Cathyb from MA

I work for a dentist in Missouri and the Market Place insurance plans have very long waiting periods before one can get treatment and don't pay well at all. It's a waste of $ and it doesnt' soudn like this person has any to waste. The waiting periods can be 6 months to a year for treatment. You're better off either purchasing an insurance plan with Delta Dental, MetLife or Cigna as long as you ask for the right coverage. Or go to work for the Postal System in Missouri they get $35,000 a year in dental coverage! Unions have good dental as well. On $700 a month I don't see how one lives!

Good for you if you can do it. You can also try applying for Care Credit which is a credit card for dental treatment, if you can get qualified or find a better paying job or a 2nd and 3rd job. Dental work is not cheap. You can also opt to go to a dental school but here in St. Louis even at a university dental school a root canal will cost $700! And then you still need to pay to get the tooth built up and crowned at a regular dentist. The bottom line is make good money and work for someone who has great dental insurance. Better yet get 2 or 3 good dental insurances and you pay nothing to the dentist.

Best Answer

Go and talk to some dentists. Many have plans to pay over time.

Make teeth your first priority. Put a little money away each paycheck. Make sure you aren't making them worse, no sweets or soda.

Anonymous

I just had to respond to this, she said she makes $700 a month what part of she has no money to put away don't you get?

Anonymous

How can someone put money aside each paycheck when they are living check to check? That doesn't work in my eyes...what you need to do is first, check to see if your state offers any Dental Programs for people your age (low income) may have to pay a few dollars like 10 bucks a month to $0. Second, check the dental schools in your area they need people to come in for them to learn how to/practice on teeth they're not doing it alone they do have actual dentist in there overseeing them sometimes there that over see their work.

Sometimes there is a wait but get on that waiting list now. You may be lucky and they will call you right away. Sometimes you pay very very little to nothing. Third, depending on your credit, you can apply for Care credit. It's a credit card special for dentists along with being able to take your animal to the vet (at least in my state michigan. Good luck hope this helps

I'm 51 years old with no top teeth and few bottom ones and two are broke off and the rest are bad also can someone help me i have no insurance and would like to have dentures

I am in desperate need of a dentist that will let me Mk monthly payments I need 16 teeth pulled none can be saved they all hurt plz tell me someone in dentistry that can help. Desperate hurting bad

Anonymous

I would be happy to make small payments but I'm on disability and after paying my mortgage (under $400), utilities, car insurance, getting toilet paper, laundry soap, deodorant, shampoo, glue to hold my upper plate in so I can eat at all, I have no money left for another payment every month. I already have to make monthly payments to be able to continue getting health care and needed prescriptions that I barely have anything left for groceries. I eat tons of ramen soup and I have no problem asking a grocery store if they'll give me the fruits and veggies they're going to put in the dumpster anyway, how else can I have those things in my diet, certainly not from the $4? I get in food support. How am I supposed to make a payment to have my teeth fixed?

I'm on Medicare and it doesn't cover teeth, hearing or eyes and I pay 20% for what it does cover. My bottom teeth are literally rotting out of my mouth and I'm forever looking like a chipmunk with my cheeks full. In order to have anything done with my teeth, I'm kinda forced to wait until they become so infected that it becomes a medical issue and Medicare will pay 80% because my 20% of that will take me years to get paid off. Worse than that is trying to find a dentist that will ever consider doing work on a payment plan, they just don't do it! They don't have to because they're getting plenty of money from folk's with coverage and the amount charged is way more than doctors get doing the same or similar procedure. What am I to do?

Anonymous

Talk about "stating the obvious"...

Whether or not poor teeth would affect your job, would depend on what type of work you do. I have seen people working as cashiers that don't have real great teeth. Do you have decent credit? Also some places have signs up that say payment arrangements can be made. If you are close to a dental school, see what kind of services they provide. Here all they do is do an exam and cleaning.

Could you get a second part time job? Also if you have any dealings with the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office and see if they know of any place that can help you. You could also go to your county and explain the situation and see if they can help you. As far as I know all counties in the country have a certain amount of medical help for their low income residents.

I lived with broken off teeth and roots for about five years and I ate everything that people with teeth eat. I got dentures when I got my share of the money from selling our house along with the divorce. That was in the fall of 1983 and to this day I can eat everything, including popcorn with teeth.

First try goggling "low cost dental (in your town/nearest city)" also try CA.gov and your county.gov to see if they have anything. Sometimes it depends on your age - in the 60's we were on welfare in CA and only our children could get dental care, not adults. Good luck, I know the feeling.

No matter what, dental work is going to cost you - with or without insurance. But believe me, especially if you're going to get serious work done, you want a plan of some sort. Seniors have a lot more options these days than they used to. For a free consultation and advice on senior health and dental insurance, check out http://killianinsure.com I'm sure they'll have all the answers you need. Good luck.

I need a dentist that can pull your teeth, at no cost and put in free denture, is there a program that is out there , can help you

I have no insurance and all my roots and teeth needs,to be pulled asap and dentures I need help I live in college park ga. But willing to go anywhere for help