General AdviceConsumer Advice

Determining Cause of Synthetic Rug Damage

I bought a brand new synthetic nylon rug. I didn't notice these empty dots until I saw it under the white light. So is this infestation of a moth, beetles, or their larva or any other kind of bug that eats fibers or is it just a badly manufactured rug?

If it is brand new, return it. It shouldnt be infested or badly manufactured. Let the store give you another one or a refund

it's new and the smell of the chemicals of the new carpets still in it. Unfortunately I can't return it back, and actually I don't care about getting refund or even git rid of it I'm just afraid that my house get infested with something because of it.

Are you seeing anything moving or clumps that could be larve? Have you run the vacuum over it and the pattern of white spots changed? If so, roll it up and take it back...as Judy suggested...but first I suggest that you scoop some what you see in a jar (use a plastic knife and jar with tight seal). Then google carpet beetles first, to see if it matches. If not, try silverfish, bedbugs, and mites and try to match it with Google images.

It's a yucky job, but it is an important step.

When you id the critter, there are lots of good, safe, and natural solutions on thrifty fun to rid your home of the carpet hitchhikers quickly and completely.

If you see no critters and the spots don't change, it may be just a bad dye job and, like Judy said, take it back and ask for a refund! Stores need to be held accountable for poor performance.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

That is really strange. If you cannot return it, can you take it back and ask them?

I think you guys misunderstood me at. The rug is new and clean there's no dirt or anything moving here, the white dots that i talk about is just missing fibers and the white under patch apparent as dots due to missing some surface furriness so i was just suspicious about the causes of these dots or those missing fibers is the infestation of something that eats fibers or it's just bad manufactured and not the best weave standards.

Ps: these dots cant seen by the naked eye i had to turn the flashlight to see it and the flash made it wores because of the shiny reflection of the nylon fibers and i think this is the reason of the misunderstanding here.

Here's some close up shots discribes what i mean.

Hi! I am so sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking. I am one who likes to troubleshoot things...so I guess I went a little overboard.

In looking at your new photos, it looks to me (and I am NOT an expert) that it was just a poorly made product. Maybe a bad batch of dye or weaving issues. To me, Synthetic rugs are notorious for having imperfections.

From my experience, if you had bugs of some sort, there would be holes, most likely going all the way through...not just white spots.

It seems this is just poor workmanship and is seen quite a lot in some items made in different countries. You have kinda "hit the nail" on the head so to speak as the "dots" are difficult to see with the naked eye and thus pass inspection most of the time.

• Of course that is my personal opinion but I have seen this type of damage in murals also.
  • The fact is that these countries sometimes make the most intriguing designs and thus the item will be sold even with "imperfections".
  • Ad

• But - speaking of carpet beetles - I thought this was interesting concerning synthetic fabrics:
  • "Sometimes they do eat synthetic materials if they have a good layer of seasoning on them. If synthetic materials have been coated in things like sweat, oil, or food, carpet beetles have been known to make an exception to their eating habits."
  • You must like your rug so I would say to just enjoy it and if you never mention it, most likely no one will ever notice any "imperfections".
  • Be aware though - since these dots are actually missing threads, some may have loose close fibers that will also break loose and the dots may get larger.
  • But I really think these are just "skipped" links and will remain the same as now.