Determining a Reasonable Cleaning Rate

I have been cleaning for several years and typically charge $20 per hour. I just took on a new job and need help pricing. The job is for a friend of a friend, who is bartering for payment.

I cleaned for the first time last week, it had not been cleaned in several months, very dusty. It took me 6 hours. The home is located in a Minneapolis suburb; 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, an upper living room area, kitchen, dining room, lower level with three separate seating areas (3 sets of living room furnishings). There are also tons of pictures and decor items, all hardwood floors, minimal clutter from family.

I have no idea how to price it. Any ideas?

By Faith from Minneapolis, MN

Answers:

Determining a Reasonable Cleaning Rate

You said you spent 6 hours on the place and you normally charge $20 an hour. The guy owes you $120 in barter. So whatever the guy or gal has to barter with make sure you get $120 worth.

And as an aside, I hope the person has some product or service you were interested in getting from them (ie barter for). Otherwise you may have a hard time collecting. As for the "doing a friend a favor" part. You accepted the job for barter. That's a big exception to a flat $120 cash that you can use for anything. Good luck. (11/14/2009)

By Suntydt