Determining the Value of an Older Sewing Machine

Category Miscellaneous
Some vintage and antique sewing machines have value to collectors. This is a guide about determining the value of an older sewing machine.

Research on sites such as eBay can help determine the recent asking and selling price of these sewing machines. This is a guide about finding the value of a vintage White sewing machine.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Sewing machines have been around for over 100 years and there are many old-fashioned ones that can be still found for sale. This is a guide about the value of an antique Singer sewing machine.

This is a guide about information about Winselmann antique sewing machines. Antique sewing machines are a popular collectible. Collected for their beauty and workmanship, they are also refurbished and used by crafters who enjoy sewing on these antique machines.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Just want to share this pic of my sewing machine. I want to know if attachments are hard to come by. The model number is 117-959. Any idea of resale value also?

Answers

Best Answer

There are some sellers on eBay who have the machine + accessories. You could always ask them to break up the set and sell you the accessories separately. Some are willing because a "bid" i the and is worth two in the bush (to misquote the famous saying of a bird in the hand). Here are today's listings:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=117-959+kennmore...

As for the value, it depends on if it is working, you have the book, and the overall condition of the cabinet.

Right now on eBay all of the machines that were listed are unsold (so the value is nothing until they sell):

You may want to watch the active sales from the first link to get SOLD prices and that will give you today's value--as long as you see an apples to apples match.

Post back what you decide! This machine is a work horse and can last you forever if well cared for!!

Best Answer

You will have to do a lot of checking generic vintage Kenmore accessories/parts to find items that fit your machine as many sellers will not show the numbers their items fit.

• You do not have a complete number for your model so I would recommend that you contact Sears Parts and find out more about this machine before looking for accessories as the more information you have the easier it will be to locate items for this particular machine.
  • Ad

• I believe that model is a White machine but Sears can tell you for sure and what White models will also fit your machine. They can tell you the full model number and year it was made (some parts can be found with just the 117-959) and may also have some items for you to purchase.
  • Here is a link that has their contact information.
  • www.searspartsdirect.com/.../contactUs.pd
  • Here is a machine that has been listed for a while that is maybe the same model (but may not be the same year) and has a lot of accessories listed. The cabinet seems to be a little more elaborate than yours (larger cabinet with larger drawers and a double open top) but the overall machine looks to be in good condition.
  • They are asking $100 with "pick up only" and it has not sold. It is possible the location is the reason it has not sold and if listed in a different location the value may be higher.
  • www.ebay.com/.../302694836131?hash=item467a04a7a3...
  • Usually the same accessories/parts will fit several different models and sometime the seller has no idea as to what machine their items will fit but if they have correct information, they will list the model numbers in their description.
  • Ad

• Here is a link that will explain what I mean. There are several listings for Kenmore accessories/parts but not many have a model number showing. You will have to check each link to see if it matches yours or if it is even still available. This is how some people do "research" and can be very time consuming but may also be very productive.
  • www.google.com/search?q=Attachments+for+a+Vintage...
  • If you wish to sell your machine, I would suggest listing it on your local Craigslist, USA4Sale, Nextdoor or any site that has pick up only as these machine are very costly to ship.
  • You could start your price high ($300 even) and just lower it if no one shows an interest.
  • nextdoor.com/

Is this machine worth $100 or more? It was made in Japan.

I'd like to sell my White model A (VS I) sewing machine to a collector. Where do I start? How do I determine its value?
Thanks!

Answers

Go on eBay and see what similar machines sell for. Check often for a few weeks

I have a 1967 White sewing machine, what is it worth? It is in good condition, works well.

By James

Answers

My daughter bought a '78 Kenmore in the cabinet for $30 and it needed a $30 part and she is sewing up a storm for $60. She loves it. Older machines do not bring much. Hope this helps.

Rasta is right. Older machines are just not worth much money wise.

In my area you would be lucky to sell it for $25.00. I have found them at garage sales for as little as $5.00.

The older machines often don't cost much money, but most work better than newer machines because they were made to higher standards. Some people think that White sewing machines are some of the best made sewing machines in the world. The White company made cars, bicycles, sewing machines and quite a few other highly engineered products. So remember that the worth of a machine is not always measured by its price. Eventually, quality does win out...but it might take another 50 years before most people recognize it. BTW, I have a White machine too, it is beautiful and I paid $50 for it in someone's front yard even though I really didn't have room for another sewing machine (I am such a sucker for a pretty face!).

I have a 1930s White rotary sewing machine in cabinet with knee peddle and electric . Worked up until a few years ago when the cord sparked and I stopped using it.

Has 2 drawers on inside of cabinet door and included the the original metal Rotary box with all attachments and replacement parts. I paid 10$ for it 25 years ago.

I am looking for any info that I can find on this machine I have it LOOKS like an adler Belvedere 850-B but the name plate actually says Reliable brand. I am looking for where to shut the power over, so it dont try to sew when I'm not pushing the pedal/knee pedal. The serial number I can find is JA36 A 21669 any help on this would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you

I would like to know the value of a 1966 knee controlled Singer sewing machine. It is still in the sewing cabinet.

I found an old sewing machine in a storage unit. It says "Square Deal" on it. It has a cast iron base that goes with it. Has anyone heard of this kind of sewing machine, how much they might be worth or anything?

Answers

There is a sewing machine company in South Africa by that name. They have their own Facebook page and respond quickly

What a cool find! That is a new one to me and I have been sewing for mumble mumble number of years :)

I hope the Facebook site Judy gave you can give you more info.

There is also an international sewing machine collectors society that may be able to give you some info on value. Their link is:

ismacs.net/

That I don't see any active or completed auctions on eBay for these at the moment seems odd...so either they are very rare and valuable or it just isn't season for them and they come up in waves. You may want to keep an eye out there and use SOLD auctions only to help you develop a value.

I do know people love the metal bases to redo into flea market flip items (love that show). A Singer base just sold recently for $49.99 plus shipping.

www.ebay.com/.../142860959068?hash=item21432d3d5c...

Let us know what you learn!

Great find! Now if you can just find out who made it!! Most likely yours is a vintage machine as an antique would be over 100 years old but I am not an expert so maybe some of the suggestions offered on this site will help you find out more about this machine.

• The Square Deal Sewing machine company in Africa is a fairly new company and makes modern industrial type machines so I do not believe they were in business when this machine was built.
  • But - you can check it out for yourself:
  • www.facebook.com/.../
  • I believe your new found beauty is a clone machine and the name was for some small company and the name was never registered.
  • This machine, with the Square Deal name, may be only one of a few that still exist. This does not necessarily mean it is valuable but it may be something a collector would want.
  • I believe it is probably a clone of a Singer and may have been made in Japan after World War II but only a true sewing machine historian can tell you for sure.
  • sewing-machines.blogspot.com/.../japanese-clones-of-40s-50s-and-60s...
  • There does not seem to be even a hint of this name in Wikipedia and that says a lot!
  • I would suggest that you do not sell or give this machine away until you find out more about it.
  • I was wondering if you had any idea if it is in working order?
  • Before you start looking for likely places to ask about your machine, check out this link as many people are sent to this site to ask about their machines and their answer NO, do not ask us.
  • ismacs.net/.../how_much_is_my_sewing_machine_worth...
  • But - you can ask questions on their site IF you register and become a member - well worth the trouble.
  • ismacs.net/digest.html
  • This is a good site to read as it has several suggestions worth noting.
  • sewsitall.blogspot.com/.../how-much-is-my-old-sewing-machine...
  • Here are some sites that may be able to help you with identifying your machine as well as give an estimate of its worth.
  • www.fixya.com/.../sewing_machines
  • This says "bike" but it about sewing machines:
  • www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=3320446
  • You will have to post your question on several sites as some may not answer or may be slow in answering.
  • Please post back and let us know what you find out about your machine.
  • www.antiqbuyer.com/appraisals.html

so the South African 'Square Deal' sewing machine co. did not incorporate till 2002, and "SQUARE DEAL SEWING MACHINES, is a young and thriving company based in the heart of Maitland Cape Town South Africa. With this youthful exuberance and energy, Square Deal Sewing Machines has become one of South Africas largest dealers in new, reconditioned and renting industrial sewing machines. " www.sewingmachine.co.za/.../about-us
so i very much doubt this was from South Africa

then the next thing to look for is who was producing sewing machines at this time, and who came out with either a brand or a knockoff - you'd have to see who was producing sewing machines around this time

When was machine most likely made?
Since this looks to be a simple treadle machine of the type common as of the late 1800's thru the 30's.

Who was producing sewing machines at the time?
here's a link of sewing machine brands, past and present

cybergrannie thinks it could be a Japanese knockoff which is a good theory. It has that Singer look though ti doesn't look to be associated with Singer because doing a search for singer + "square deal" brings up nothing (save for the South African outfit)

anyway good luck this looks like a fun research project

en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_sewing_machine_brands

I received a Coronado treadle sewing machine for a Christmas present and I can't find a model number on it. I have been looking on the internet to find out information on it, but can not seem to find any. I am looking for any information possible.

By Vickie G

Answers

Your machine is a vibrating shuttle bobbin type - and you're in luck because these bobbins (look like a bullet) are being made again! Plus nothing but the belt on any treadle (also being new-milled today) is made of rubber or plastic and so can be restored to working order if so desired.

Your machine was made by the National Sewing Machine Company and 'badged' for the Gambles Department Store chain (found in Canada, so your machine must have travelled down to the US from there after purchase). The following link gives some fantastic info on treadle machines and cabinets including Singers but also machines made by National (scroll down for the National info):

http://www.trea  tingtreadle.html

Another good source of information is the following:

http://ismacs.net/

Be warned - these lovely elder ladies are addictive!

Whoops! Hit 'post' too soon!

Your machine looks to be a late 1920s through very early 1940s model based on the style of controls and the cabinet. Also, the Coronado badging is exclusive to Gambles and all their machines were sold as Coronado machines.

I found some info. on this website. Scroll down under the pictures of the sewing machines for the info. Hope this helps. Happy New Year Everybody!

http://ths.gard  14134120239.html

I am trying to find the value of an ol Morse sewing machine, mod s.d. #50200.

I would like to know what a White brand sewing machine Model #35355 is worth. Here is a picture of the machine and it is in it's original carrying case.

Answers

Unless it is a treadle, it is not worth much. Your best bet would be to track this and similar machines on eBay to see what they are really selling for.

What would be the value of my Featherweight model AH664777?

By Kathy H.

Answers

There is one on eBay that is selling for $379. This one looks like it is in excellent condition. The price of yours will be determined by the condition of this machine. If your machine is working and in excellent condition you can sell it for a higher value.

Here is one for $599. https://www.eba  Machine/72117080

My boyfriend's mom has an antique black Coronado sewing machine. He was just wondering what the machine may be worth? Any other information about it would be greatly appreciated.

By Cindy from Jim Thorpe