Determining the Value of an Older Sewing Machine

Category Miscellaneous
Some vintage and antique sewing machines have value to collectors. This is a guide about determining the value of an older sewing machine.

This is a guide about information about Winselmann antique sewing machines. Antique sewing machines are a popular collectible. Collected for their beauty and workmanship, they are also refurbished and used by crafters who enjoy sewing on these antique machines.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would appreciate it if I can get a price value for a Singer sewing machine with the Ser. No:- V1459781 Class 127. According to Singer this machine was manufactured July - December 1909.

Answers

The first machine was invented in 1851. The closer your machine is to that date, the more it's worth. It also depends on the condition. You can take it to a dealer, see what he offers and multiply by 2.

Here is an excellent article on the subject:http://ismacs.n  chine_worth.html

It seems that over the years this model has gone up and down in value but I did find current listings on eBay and one was recently sold but there are many factors that determine value (and asking price is only that - asking) and some machine are in excellent condition and a collector may pay more than the normal value.
These machines are very difficult to ship so most people try to sell them close to their home such as Craigslist rather than eBay.
The value goes up if there is a good carrying case or table.

Here is a link to eBay but these are current listings (7/2017).

https://www.eba  eel&_sacat=0

https://www.eba  -66&_sacat=0

Here is a link to a site that you can ask for an appraisal and the answer comes from experts in this type of item. It is free - no cost to you.

https://www.jus  ing-machine.html

The condition of your sewing machine will determine the value. My grandmother had one she sewed on for years. Fifteen years ago a person offered us $200 for the machine because the original belt was gone. However, today we were offered $400 for the same machine.

I saw on eBay that the machine is selling anywhere from $170 to $600 depending on the condition the machine is in.

I am actually in South Africa. According to Singer Model List my machine was built between July - December 1909 and it is in working condition, i serviced it about 4 months ago.

Your machine looks gorgeous.. I know it is difficult to really tell by a photo but I would love to have it! Too bad you live so far away..

I believe your machine would be well worth $300 or more (in the US) but it would be very difficult to place a value with you living in South Africa.
Have you checked your eBay sales lately? You can place a "watch" on something like this but it is no longer easy as eBay no longer has a link for "wanted items".
Sorry I could not be of more help but thanks for posting back with information on where you live and a nice photo of your Singer. Maybe someone else will be able to give you a better answer.

I have a 1967 White sewing machine, what is it worth? It is in good condition, works well.

By James

Answers

My daughter bought a '78 Kenmore in the cabinet for $30 and it needed a $30 part and she is sewing up a storm for $60. She loves it. Older machines do not bring much. Hope this helps.

Rasta is right. Older machines are just not worth much money wise. In my area you would be lucky to sell it for $25.00. I have found them at garage sales for as little as $5.00.

The older machines often don't cost much money, but most work better than newer machines because they were made to higher standards. Some people think that White sewing machines are some of the best made sewing machines in the world. The White company made cars, bicycles, sewing machines and quite a few other highly engineered products. So remember that the worth of a machine is not always measured by its price. Eventually, quality does win out...but it might take another 50 years before most people recognize it. BTW, I have a White machine too, it is beautiful and I paid $50 for it in someone's front yard even though I really didn't have room for another sewing machine (I am such a sucker for a pretty face!).

I have a 1930s White rotary sewing machine in cabinet with knee peddle and electric . Worked up until a few years ago when the cord sparked and I stopped using it. Has 2 drawers on inside of cabinet door and included the the original metal Rotary box with all attachments and replacement parts. I paid 10$ for it 25 years ago.

I received a Coronado treadle sewing machine for a Christmas present and I can't find a model number on it. I have been looking on the internet to find out information on it, but can not seem to find any. I am looking for any information possible.

By Vickie G

Answers

Your machine is a vibrating shuttle bobbin type - and you're in luck because these bobbins (look like a bullet) are being made again! Plus nothing but the belt on any treadle (also being new-milled today) is made of rubber or plastic and so can be restored to working order if so desired.

Your machine was made by the National Sewing Machine Company and 'badged' for the Gambles Department Store chain (found in Canada, so your machine must have travelled down to the US from there after purchase). The following link gives some fantastic info on treadle machines and cabinets including Singers but also machines made by National (scroll down for the National info):

http://www.trea  tingtreadle.html

Another good source of information is the following:

http://ismacs.net/

Be warned - these lovely elder ladies are addictive!

Whoops! Hit 'post' too soon!

Your machine looks to be a late 1920s through very early 1940s model based on the style of controls and the cabinet. Also, the Coronado badging is exclusive to Gambles and all their machines were sold as Coronado machines.

I found some info. on this website. Scroll down under the pictures of the sewing machines for the info. Hope this helps. Happy New Year Everybody!

http://ths.gard  14134120239.html

I have a Singer sewing machine, model #192 with original proof of purchase and owner's manual; what is it's value?

By Darla B

Answers

Antique and vintage Singers generally have little value, I'm sorry to say. However, some in 'mint condition' can auction for a fair sum (rarely into the triple digit figures - but that's rare!). The big money Singer collectibles are the Featherweight machines but your 192 is not a Featherweight, it's a 'Spartan', so named for being the simplest yet hardest working of the Singer domestic machines - the Spartan straight out of the factory (usually the one near Glasgow, Scotland) was capable of handling not only everyday fabrics for clothing but several thicknesses of denim, hessian and jute (burlap), even leather and so the machine had a lot of value to farmers and isolated rural homes. But it was a very inexpensive, stripped down model that didn't come with a lot of accessories.

If the decals are in excellent condition, if the machine is still in working order, if the factory paint is still on and in excellent condition, if the original receipt, owner-user guide (original!), and original accessories are with the machine, if...value depends on all of that and most importantly - if someone is interested.

If you're hoping to sell this machine, do your homework - check on the Singer website for the build date and gather as much of the machine history as you can (for example, was it a wedding gift to a young farm bride and did she use it to sew for the farm or a family soldier marching off to WWI and WWII? Did she sew everyone's clothing on it and do you have any of those garments or a quilt made from the worn out clothes?) - then write that down on a separate sheet of paper - this is called provenance and it adds to the value of the machine; check on eBay and CraigsList to see if yours or any model antique and vintage Singer are 'hot' and selling, and for how much.

Also do some search engine runs using the machine maker/model name-number+collector to see what comes up.

At this moment, the most you could hope for is low double digits (I mean low, like close to teens rather than fifty) but it's possible to make the machine more desirable IF you can prove provenance.

What would be the value of my Featherweight model AH664777?

By Kathy H.

My boyfriend's mom has an antique black Coronado sewing machine. He was just wondering what the machine may be worth? Any other information about it would be greatly appreciated.

By Cindy from Jim Thorpe