Disguising Water Damage on Walls

Category Walls
With some cleanup and paint, you can mask water damage on areas of a wall that might show easily. This is a guide about disguising water damage on walls.

Lacking both money and time, I was at a loss as to how to fix the water damage on the drywall in my basement. The brown stain that appeared around the bottom of my walls was extremely noticeable and annoyed me to no end. I came up with a quick fix that was cute and decorative for $1.00. I bought a bottle of black acrylic paint at the dollar store and with a fine tip brush, I outlined the top of the damage. From that line down to the floor, I painted the whole area black. I traced large mushrooms onto the walls and painted them black as well. Although very different, the mushroom shadow effect hid the damage on my wall and didn't damage my budget. :)

By Tracy from Matheson, ON

Your disguise is cute, however the brown that has appeared is most likely mold. This can be very dangerous and will no doubt spread.

I agree with dakota. The time you spent on the painting should have been used to remove the dry wall and let it dry out and replace it. Drywall is not hard to do. You can easily do it yourself. You only have to do up 4 inches above where the water was. If there is insulation behind the drywall you do have a problem. I am 66 year old female and did a large repair in my daughter's kitchen. Black mold is very dangerous.

I know it works on ceilings it might work on drywall. You have that happen again dilute some bleach in water and lightly spray it on the area and let it dry.

AngelsVoice

Lacking both money and time, I was at a loss as to how to fix the water damage on the drywall in my basement.
The mushrooms look really cute. The thing is that if drywall is damaged, it is very likely that you have mold growing somewhere. I wouldn't let it go too long unchecked. My daughter lived in a house and everyone kept getting sick. They found mold spores growing in several places, and had to move because the health risk was too great (she has two small children, one with asthma). Just be careful, and keep an eye on it.

Love Each Day,
Lady Nightshayde