DishwasherAppliances

Dishwasher Seems to Run Too Long

I think my 10 yr old dishwasher is running too long. I cannot find my owner's manual (lost in the house, I suppose). I think from start to finish, it's over an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hrs and that seems too long, but is it?

By Debbie Dzurilla from IL

That time seems normal to me. When I start mine, 90 minutes shows as the length of the cycle, which includes the drying time.

Sounds like you may have a build up of food particles in your machine. Try removing the filters inside the machine ( they're under the bottom dish rack) and cleaning them thoroughly. There will probably be some standing water under the filters. If you have a shop vac, use it to clean it out, if not, you'll have to do it by hand. Sensors in the machine detect food particles and keep it running. Once everything is put back together, pour a cup of vinegar in the bottom and run it without dishes. Repeat if necessary.

Try checking your drain hose and make sure it is not clogged or kinked, etc. Your dishwasher cycles in relation to the drain cycle so if it is taking a long time to drain it will make your washer work harder/longer. Also check the vent for the drain on the top of your sink.

The decorative chrome cover should pull off easily and then make sure there is no debris in there. I thought I had a bad washer once when all that was wrong with it was that there was a piece of an apple stem clogging the vent causing the washer not to drain properly. Hope this helps, Rick

Thanks for the helpful info. Now I just have to get hubby to try the suggestions. I'll keep you posted!