Dishwasher Won't Drain

Category Dishwasher
Determining why water stays in your dishwasher is not always easy. This guide is about dishwasher won't drain.

The water drains completely from our dishwasher, but several days later there's a terrible odor coming from it. When I look inside, there's more water in there which wasn't there after the last time I used it. Please help.

By Linda Richards from GA

Answers

Best Answer

You have a bad water valve sediment gets into it and water wraps through slowly filling the dish washer shut off the water valve to dish washer and see if it stops filling

My brand new KitchenAid dishwasher doesn't drain completely. There are about 3-5 cups of soapy, dirty looking water standing in the bottom of the dishwasher after every load. This is the 3rd dishwasher we have had in this same spot in the kitchen and we have never had this problem before. We cleaned our disposal and used vinegar and baking soda to get the disposal and drain to run freely, but the problem remains. Any suggestions?

By Mary G

Answers

Well, if you think it might be the drain, please try an effective cleaner. Vinegar and baking soda is NOT an effective cleaner. They react together to make bubbles of carbon dioxide, but I have never found bubbles to be effective in cleaning anything. Use a commercial drain cleaning product as these are bases which will react with grease and soap residue. Vinegar & baking soda together cancel each other out. You are left with salt water and CO2 bubbles.

If it's new, take it back. Call the store where you bought it & complain.

Oh, my word! Never having an issue with our industrial garbage disposal, I put 2 artichokes that were unraveled and fully cooked down there and turned it on. Not thinking anything of it, it clogged I thought I had broken it. But when I realized the disposal worked and it was just clogged, I had no idea what to do. I was going to call a professional in 2 days then thought, "Hey, I am going to look online and see if I can do it."

So, I clicked on this website and read the posts on the vinegar and baking soda and boiling hot water. I figured what do I have to loose but an already clogged disposal. After I plunged it to clear the water out, guess what? It's unclogged! Thank you so much, now I don't have to call a professional. So stoked :) Thank you guys for posting that!

It's the drain and chopping mechanism. You have to take it apart and pull all the gunk that has made it past all the screens and filters. This happened to me and I thought I had the problem solved having exposed the chopping mechanism and pulling about about 2 dozen bits of chicken bone, corn, popcorn kernels, beans and bits of plastic.

Well, I hadn't gone far enough into the machine and had one more cover to remove and more crap to pull out. That did the trick!

Anonymous

There are things you should not be putting down there, aka plastic, bones, corn....??? I also hear bananas, onions, egg shells, and apparently carrot and potato peels besides greasy things of course.

Anonymous

This sometimes happens when it is clogged check it properly

I was having problems with my dishwasher and replaced it with a new one. Now I have the same problems with the new one as I had with the old dishwasher. When it is done running a full cycle there are about 2 inches of water remaining in the bottom. The water is cloudy and starts to smell if I don't manually remove it. During the wash cycle water usually leaks from the front side. Everything seems to be working properly, but I continue to have the same problems.

Answers

Could you have a partial clog in the drain line?

I am also wondering if this is a plumbing and drain problem rather than a machine problem. I'd consult a plumber.

All of the water won't pump out of my dishwasher. After it completes its cycle, about an inch of water remains in the bottom of the dishwasher. However it does get the dishes clean.

By Robert Zeller from Troy, OH

Answers

My dishwasher had similar problem. It didn't drain, and there was a puddle of water under the machine. It also stopped mid-cycle. If you called a repair guy, it will cost $150-250, and they will only take out the old drain hose and put a new one in.

If your dishwasher won't drain, or if it's leaking water, the following video will talk you through the repair process. Usually the drain hose is the most common problem. It clogs up after a couple years due to buildup of cleaning detergents, and when its clogged, the machine cannot drain the water, it stops during the cleaning process, and it leaks out the bottom. Replacing the hose will cost $10-15 and it only takes about 20 minutes to fix. www.youtube.com/user/mkbrennan13

This will save you hundreds. It's easy, you don't need to be mechanical to do it yourself.

Anonymous

My 9 year-old Kitchenaid developed these symptoms. If I pushed hard on the door it would start again. I bent the spring clip that holds the door shut to apply more pressure and now it works fine.

My Frigidaire dishwasher won't drain completely. The pump was replaced, now it washes, but won't drain.
Do I need to replace motor now? it drains straight to the disposal and has has no overflow.

By Ruben

Answers

This happened to me one time, and it was a pressure problem caused by caked and collected food from the disposal in the pipe that leads to the drain. I don't know if your problem is the same, but it might be worth checking. I got down under the sink and disconnected the pipe running from the disposal to the drain pipes, and used a coat hanger to poke through it and kinda ream it out. Greasy food seems to make it cake up.

My water won't drain out of the dishwasher. Can I use CLR cleaner and if so where would I pour it and how much?

By susan from Ninety Six, SC

Answers

I don't think this is a problem that you can fix with CLR. There are several reasons why a dishwasher won't drain. Check the archives. And if it is not one of these, you may have to call a repairperson.

I have an older GE dishwasher that will not drain. What do I do?

By Don Lehman from St. Paul, MN

Answers:

Dishwasher Won't Drain

I only have experience with portable dish washers so my question/advise may not apply.
Is it trying to pump out water at all? If it is trying to do it's job then it might be obstructed. You need to find some way to try to blow air back through the exhaust hose and blow the obstruction back out the way it came. That's the optimistic outlook.

The other is the pump in your dishwasher is shot and is probably not worth fixing. But depending on where you live and who is in your area there might be someone who can fix it. When I lived in WV there was a guy who ran a little repair shop and he kept a lot of older machines around to strip for parts. If there is a guy like this in your area he may have a used pump he could put in it rather cheap compared to buying a new dishwasher. (08/05/2010)

By Suntydt

I have a General Electric Permatuf dishwasher and the water will not drain out. My line going to my garbage disposal is not plugged, nor my sink lines under the sink. The line going from my dishwasher to the garbage may be plugged, but I don't have any way of knowing.

By Dwayne from Augusta, GA

Answers:

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Make sure the pump is working. You disconnect the drain hose and run it into your sink or a bucket for testing purposes. If it is pumping out the water then check to make sure there are no obstructions in the connection at the disposal. If this is a new install make sure the plug was removed from the disposal connection at time of the install, also check for kinks in the drain line. Most dishwasher manufacturers recommend a loop in the drain line. Look at the install instructions that came with the washer. (08/21/2009)

By Don Morgan

My dishwasher water will not drain out. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Elva from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Just had the same problem. After service man was here three times he discovered the pump was gone so decided to get a new dishwasher for the pump and labor was over half of a new dishwasher. He said that dishwashers are a disposable appliance nowadays. I don't know about all of you but our disposable society is nerve racking to say the least. (09/18/2008)

By Rasta

Dishwasher Won't Drain

When I have this problem, I put Drano down my sink drains and then I take the plunger to my sink, I have two drains so I have someone hold a plunger over one side while I plunge the other side and vise versa, it seems to work every time. (09/18/2008)

By Missi

Dishwasher Won't Drain

We had this problem about a week ago: 1. Did you use too much dish soap? May be too sudsy. Check your filters. Small but numerous particles of food clog those sensitive screens and slow or even stop the d/w from working right. Can the spinning blade (that squirt water) on the top and bottom spin freely? Even a small part of a wooden spoon or a glass that is just a little tall can also cause problems. Check your hoses (if it isn't a built in) make sure there isn't a clog there. Also go to your manufacturer's site and see if there is a trouble shooting section. Is your d/w new or old?

IMPORTANT: make sure you get a d/w cleaner (sold at most stores for a few dollars) and clean the d/w itself. You'll put the product in an empty d/w and run a normal cycle. It is suppose to clear out lines, hoses, and such to keep it running at optimum quality. You can also google the d/w's info. The model # should be somewhere on the door. I hope that you find the source of the problem. It bites not having a working d/w. Good luck. (09/18/2008)

By KLS8800

Dishwasher Won't Drain

I had the same problem also. I finally disconnected the back flow preventer under the sink that the dishwasher drains to and took it apart. There was a little piece of plastic that was clogging it. Still can't figure out where it came from. Must have been attached to something I had washed and it came off and made it as far as the back flow preventer and clogged it. Most back flows are above the sink. Mine happens to be underneath. (09/19/2008)

By souzos

Dishwasher Won't Drain

This will sound nonsensical, but if you have an overflow thing sitting up next to your kitchen faucet (the one that water will sometimes burble out of when the dishwasher is on), pull the cover off it by firmly pulling straight up, then take the structure inside apart with your fingers and see if there is hair or another clog in it. Reassemble and see if your d/w functions properly. When I had the same problem, I read this one online, realized I had nothing to lose, tried it, and the problem was solved. (09/19/2008)

By Katie

Dishwasher Won't Drain

I had the wrong terminology. It is an air gap overflow, not a back flow preventer. However, it does prevent back flow of contaminated water/sewage from entering your dishwasher. (09/19/2008)

By souzos

RE: Dishwasher Won't Drain

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Katie you are the best! I was so upset my dishwasher just wouldn't drain, I would do it manually every time and still have to hand wash most of my dishes. My water overflow thing on my sink was totally clogged. I unclogged it and water shot up almost hitting my ceiling. Thank You! (10/01/2008)

By jen

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Just had a problem with the Drain Air Gap (Air Gap Overflow). I thought it was clear, but serviceman pointed out debris under cap. To take mine apart, you have to pry cap off by lifting with a screwdriver. Not necessary to unscrew. (02/27/2009)

By somib