FurnitureRepair

Disinfectant Spray Ruined Finish on Dresser

I sprayed a disinfectant on a burn on my finger. The spray went onto my new bedroom dresser which I noticed the next day. It seems as though the white spray spots almost burned into the wood. I have used Old English which helps for a day or so, but then they appear again. Any suggestions?

I did the same thing with perfume. You may have to do what I did, sand it down, re-stain and reseal.

You might want to try one of those furniture crayons to cover if up.

You could try directing a hairdryer on the spots...Don't have the hairdryer too close to the wood...but close enough, so that the dryer restores the finish...You may need to do this several times...You might also try...using a hot iron on the spots...Lay a cloth on top of the spots and iron the spots, as if you were ironing a piece of clothing...keep the iron moving...

I forgot to add...Rub hard...the area you just used the hairdryer or iron on, with a soft cloth...buffing the area...

You describe this as a new dresser - if possible, you might be able to contact the store where purchased or even better, look for the name of the manufacturer on the inside of a drawer or on the underside of the drawer or back of the dresser. They should/will have a web site and should be able to tell what kind of wood you have as well as how to repair the damage.

To treat this properly, you really need to know that type of material/finish of your dresser.

One university information site states this:

Furniture finishes vary from soft oil finishes to hard finishes including opaque painted finishes, clear finishes, lacquer, shellac, varnish and those containing polyurethane.

Its important for you to know the type of finish in your wood furniture in order to properly care for it.

Remember that its the finish you are cleaning, not the wood itself. If you are in doubt about the type of finish, try the following tests in an inconspicuous part of the piece.

This site gives full instructions on tests and care and some information on stain removal.

http://www2.ca.  s/hf-lra.048.pdf