AdviceFood Tips

Distilling Water at Home

If I put some water in a jug and let it sit, is that like distilled water?

By Shawn G.

Supposedly putting a bottle of 'unclean' water in a clear plastic bottle for a day will allow the sun's ultraviolet rays kill off bacteria in the water. It would still need to be filtered to remove any particulates. That being said, the water would still contain minerals which have been removed from distilled water.
To answer your question, no it is not like distilled water.
Duane in West Michigan

Sun shining through clear plastic bottles releases toxic chemicles from the plastic into the water. This is why we are warned not to ever drink water in bottles that has been left in a car. Please do not do this. Distilled water is water that has been boiled and the steam collected in a container is the distilled water.

Boil your water to make it 'distilled water', learned this from a vet, one of my girlfriends dog could only drink distilled water for some reason I do not remember but it had to do with its health. So boil it she did and daily.

Boiling your water does not make it distilled water. As Lilac said, boiling your water, catching the steam, and letting it collect in a container makes distilled water. The distilled water is the water you got from the steam.

http://en.wikip  /Distilled_water

The sun will help remove chlorine if the water is treated. However, minerals will remain in the water, and possibly lots of other stuff too.

I need to have distilled water for a snowglobe I'm making, but can't buy it and don't have the fancy equipment to distill water. I heard that you can make distilled water (that would work for snowglobes) by boiling water then letting it cool). Will this work?
- What would you suggest?

Thanks!

By Crafty_Witch from IL

Answers

My understanding is that distilled water is made from the steam of boiling water. You have to capture that into a separate container. You need a distilled water maker to do it all.

I forgot to say it is much easier to just buy a bottle of it from a store. Just make sure it says "distilled water" instead of drinking water.