Prescription DrugsHealth & Beauty

Do Not Mix Medication

I often house and critter sit for friends so they can get away. Rather than take my big pill minder, I often just mix the dosage for the amount of days I will be gone and throw them in a baggie.

Today, I was returning some to the minder that I had forgotten to take. And I discovered something scary and really REALLY stupid.

But before I reveal my mistake I will tell you a bit about why this is so significant. I am on medication, Gabapentin, to relieve diabetic nerve pain, as well as a stopgap med called Metformin for my diabetes. For the last month, I have been plagued with feeling my pulse in my ears and a spike blood pressure, both side effects of the Gabapentin. My blood sugar however would not stay down no matter what I ate or how much I dosed.

I am supposed to take 1/4 tablet of the Gabapentin a day and 3 Metformin. In looking at the photo, you can see how easy it would be to get these two mixed up. And boy did I...

Taking 3 full pills of Gabapentin gave me 12 times the dosage and not taking the Metformin depleted my sugar regimen by 1500 mg per day I wasn't getting.

Needless to say I put all my meds back in their bottles where they will stay forever and ever. I have been jittery, nauseated, dizzy and sluggish for over a month, thinking it's been too long to not be acclimated to the dosage by now.

Don't be stupid like me. Please look at your pills and if two are similar, don't ever mix them.

When I go on a trip or go to a camp or any event where I have to transport my medications, I bought a small plastic Rubbermaid box and I put all my prescription bottles with a medication sheet that describes the medication, dosage, the doctor's name and phone number and other pertinent information in case of an emergency. There is a label attached to the side of the box with my name on it address and phone number and also the doctor's name. My husband also has a medication box that we carry on trips. To carry necessary medication in my purse, I carry a clear cosmetic bag with a small sheet of paper in it listing the medication, and other pertinent information and the prescription bottle is carried in that cosmetic bag and stored in my purse.

This is a really good idea. Doctor and paramedics all say they hate pill minders. I will never use another one except for beads and spices!!

Please make sure your doctor is aware of your mistake. Maybe he or she can advise you about easing your way back to the proper dose, especially with the gabapentin.

Sandi, I am very sorry to hear you have not been feeling well and hope you will soon be in full recovery. Your reminder about how we keep and store our meds is very true/helpful and that reminder is not just for us "old/senior folks".

Thanks for sharing.

Betty

Sandi Please go to the doctor and let him or her know what happened and the doctor can get you adjusted to the meds again or give you different ones and also warn other people.

This way you will get to feel better like you should. thank you for taking the time out to warn other people.

I am back and right as rain. You are all so sweet to worry. I didn't tell the doctor because of something the pharmacy did, hot him. They filled my gabapenton in capsules which can't be cut up. I swapped the same dosage with a friend of mine who takes the pills. It never occurred to me that they were so close in size and shape.

But I did tell the pharmacy. It clearly stated on my prescription that I was to take a graduated dosage and they should have known.

They do now for sure.

Posting more stuff this weekend!!

PBP