Does Garlic Help a Dog With Worms?

Category Health
The majority of veterinarians recommend avoiding garlic and anything else in the onion family. It can be toxic in relatively small amounts. Please consult with your own veterinarian before using any advice in this discussion about if garlic will help a dog with worms.

I have a 7 week old puppy, can I give him garlic to get rid of his worms? I can not afford the vet bill right now

By Tbaby from Detroit, MI

Answers

Best Answer

I had always heard that garlic was good for your pet, after losing my chocolate Cocker Spaniel to unknown reasons. I read that garlic, grapes, nuts and apples, especially the seeds were deadly to a dog. I don't know if it is true, but I was guilty of giving my dog grapes and an apple now and then to eat. They said that grapes will cause kidney failure.

I use Diatomaceous Earth to worm my little Cocker spaniel, Daisy. Food grade Diatomaceous Earth can be used by humans, all animals, plants and insects. It's very inexpensive for the amount you get.

Best Answer

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and the answer is no. Please take a stool sample to your Vet and have them check for worms and which kind they are.

You Vet can treat them with medication once he/she finds out which type of worms they are. There is no home remedy to get rid of worms, it is an old wives tale. Good luck.

Best Answer

Garlic is deadly to dogs and cats! Actually, anything in the allium family is and, besides a few other possible problems that can occur, it causes anemia! Please just take a fresh stool sample to your vets office and they will let you know what you need to do for worming and you do not have to pay for a vet visit doing that just the testing for the stool sample. Better safe than sorry because there are different kinds of worms and each need different medications and dosages depending on the dogs weight!

How long does it take to get rid of worms in your dog if you use garlic powder?

Answers

Best Answer

It could take up to 3 weeks with this method. Check the dogs feces daily.

Best Answer

Garlic is poisonous to dogs, even in small amounts. So not feed it to them. Garlic and onion can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. Hemolytic anemia can be fatal.

I have a 9 week old boxer that has worms and I heard that garlic is good for getting rid of worms. How much do I use? Can I use garlic powder or does it need to be cloves of garlic?

Laila from Waxahachie, TX

Answers:

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

Actually, some say it is bad for dogs, and others say it helps with fleas, worms, general health. I know several people who sprinkle garlic powder in their dog's food for fleas/healthy coat. When I did this for my dog, it gave her dandruff. Here are some sites that talk about this in more depth:

healthypet.com

avma.org

blurtit.com

allexperts.com

Hope this helps!

(04/29/2008)

By Jennifer

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

Garlic at one time was thought to be good for dogs, but more evidence is coming to light every day. Garlic can be fatal to dogs. The deadly toxic can build up in the dogs system, eventually leading to death. Look at it this way, is your dog's life worth gambling with? How important is your dog to you? Your dog's life is in your hands. Be informed of all the facts before rolling that dice.

(04/29/2008)

By Martha

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

I'm not sure about garlic with dogs. I've never heard of that one. I have heard of giving dogs sardines for worms (I believe heart worms). We always gave my dogs, when I was growing up a can of sardines (keep in mind that these were all big dogs). (04/29/2008)

By Cathy

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

Your puppy should be checked out by a vet anyway, so he or she will be able to treat the worms. (04/29/2008)

By Maryeileen

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

You should take your dog to a vet soon. Worms can be deadly for puppies. I took my cat to the vet soon after we got him and it only cost around $20.00. (04/29/2008)

By crazyliblady

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

Both garlic and onion are poisonous to dogs. When you take the puppy for vaccines, should be getting the 2nd set soon (9 -10 wks), the vet can give worm medication as well. (04/30/2008)

By Deborah Jones

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

Sardines and garlic are for people. Veterinarians are for dogs. Please take your dog to the vet, and have its shots done, a deworming, monthly heartworm preventative Rx, and spay/neuter. Vets don't just want to take your money. I promise. They are in the profession because they genuinely care. Responsible pet ownership is hard to come by these days. (05/13/2008)

By x

Does Garlic Help Dog With Worms

Garlic won't hurt your dog. I've had several dogs over the years all living past 12. I have always used garlic to help deworm, and it works. (09/11/2008)

By tiger3do

Top Comment

Myth #1: Garlic is toxic to dogs.
Lately many articles written in response to the pet food recall, have included ingredient warnings for people who are considering a homemade diet. These warnings are regarding foods that are supposedly toxic to dogs. And right there next to chocolate, they list garlic. The truth is, garlic is indeed toxic to dogs IF YOU FEED 50 CLOVES OF GARLIC IN ONE SITTING!

I would imagine garlic would be toxic to anyone if fed in that quantity. Heck, even water can be deadly if you drink too much of it. Obviously no one would ever feed that much garlic to their dog. Truth is, when fed in reasonable amounts, garlic is a fantastic ingredient to a homemade dog food diet. Not only is it a great natural flea repellent, but garlic is also a tremendous antioxident and detoxifying agent for dogs.

Top Comment

Garlic WILL kill your dog!!!

It haunts me to this day, but I killed mine this way believing in these crappy ass websites.

I was looking for a home treatment from my beautiful Pit, Desiree because we were in a financial bind. Each time we took her to the vet it was around $100 and though she kept coughing and throwing up at home, he couldn't find anything wrong with her other than the Heartworms and only gave us Heartgard since he said she was healthy and that a couple of years on Heartgard with two injections toward the end of treatment, was all she would need. He said that in order to know more, we needed more and more tests. We took her to him like five times because he was right around our house, and it was always the same thing.

Well, I wanted something to make her visibly better :( and was led astray by these idiotic claims that garlic works. I started feeding her a small clove a day. After a couple of weeks she didn't want to eat, and a couple of weeks after, she died.

Toward the end, when she got really, really sick, we took her to another vet across town. She said that garlic is POISONOUS to dogs and there is NO two ways around it. (It didn't help that we used to feed her table scraps from time to time either, and that onion is just as bad, if not worse than garlic).

Basically, I killed my dog and I can't get over the heartache and pain. Every time I think of it I want to break down and cry, and so I am here trying to get the word out so that NO ONE else goes through the same thing.

I KNOW where you are at. You are DESPERATE to find some sort of cure, and are maybe financially strapped ...please understand though that what I am saying is 100% true. GARLIC KILLED MY DOG and should NOT be used. There are STUDIES on this and numerous websites and vets and doctors that say this, but like I was, I was looking for a little hope and trusted that those sites were wrong, and that the people that said it actually works, were right. They are NOT.

Spare yourself the heartache and pain, and more so, spare the pain and suffering on your pet.

In closing, I have read that cloves and pumpkin seeds and black walnut DO work. I never got the chance to try those. :( Garlic just seemed so easy.

All the best with your pet, and please pass this around. I don't work for anyone and I am not against garlic for people, I just love animals and want the best for every single one of them. PLEASE DON'T make the mistake I did.