AdviceDogs

Dog Aggressive When Putting on His Lead

My dog is a Jack Russell. He has always been an amazing dog with a few anxiety problems from being with us too young from his mum. He's now nine years old and has started to attack me and my mum when I put him on the lead. He seems terrified of it and now we are too scared to take him out. All of his teeth come out, his ears are back, and he just goes for us. Does anyone know what this could be? It's gotten to the point we won't be able to keep him. Thank you.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You can try a slip leash or you can try to get on the floor instead of approaching the dog from above.

This does not sound like a safe situation and I believe you should try to find out what has caused this change before you can decide how to correct it. are you able to take him to the vet? Or Have you had him to the vet to discuss this aggression with him/her? This is very important that you rule out any health or physical problems before starting a training program. Your vet should be able to recommend some strategies for calming your dog even if he is put on some "calming" medication for a short period.
Does your dog have a yard to play/run in or is walking his only form of exercise?
Can you think back and come up with when this aggression started? Did anything happen that might have an effect on the dog? These are some questions your vet may ask.

If you cannot handle him safely by yourself do you have anyone that you can ask for help to get him to your vet?
I strongly suggest this be a priority because it is not just a natural thing for a dog to change this much without some type of reason behind it.
I hope you can find a solution that will help you and your pet.