AdviceDogs

Dog Is Afraid of Husband

He is scared of my husband; why?

By Rebekah

Best Answer

Dogs are smart. You might want to consider that you dog has been abused by a man and is now fearful of men in general, or your husband has done something that frightened the dog. If your husband is good to the dog, the dog should get over it in time.

Need more information-dog's age, breed, history, etc. Is your husband new to the dog? Have there been problems in the past, etc.

We adopted a male dog from our local humane society, he was fearful of women @ first only loved my dad but now he loves my mom, myself & my dad. We believe he was abused by a female before being thrown out on the street.

I agree that the dog probably had negative experience's with men. I had that same issue with a dog I rescued. She absolutely his from men! Now she is fine with my husband, son and any man I introduce her to...after she gets used to them being there. What I also noticed is that dogs sense when the person is uncomfortable around them in anyway. So even if it's just that your husband is worried that the dog disliking him will upset you, the dog will pick up on that negative energy. Has your husband tried spending time alone with the dog? Like if you went to the store and they played in the yard with his pocket full of the best, yummy treats in the world?? You may come home after a few hours to two new best friends! Don't forget to leave the dogs favorite toys too! Best of luck!