Dog Itching

My dog is itching really bad on her back and tail. It is starting to move up to her face around her eyes. She gets sores on her and has an odor. What do I do?

By kris from New Caney

Best Answer

The fact that there is an unusual smell makes me feel very concerned. If you haven't already, please give her vet's office a call. I imagine they'll want to you to take her in, so they can examine her, but sometimes they'll give general advice over the phone. Best of luck. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Best Answer

Consult a vet. Your pet needs medical attention and treatment for skin disorder.

Best Answer

Hello,
I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Your baby needs to see his Veterinarian asap. Your Dr. will do a skin scraping of the skin (painless) and put it on a slide and then under a microscope to determine what is going on.

It could be anything.. maybe mites, mange. please go your dog is suffering with this condition.

My Sophia has been itching too (mostly her butt). She did the same thing last year and I went crazy trying to help her and then it just stopped. When it came back again around the same time this year I figured it was allergies.

Thanks to you guys on here (always helpful) and my groomer I found a mix that finally worked! I gave her Children's Allergy Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine HCI 12.5 mg) and Vitamin E. The children's antihistamine is a grape chewable and since she is small (About 10 lbs) I give her half...It tastes good and she just eats it! I give them both at bedtime, because the antihistamine makes her sleepy. A benefit to us both, she is relieved and sleeps, so do I. ;) She is so much better. And mommy feels better when her baby feels better. I know you all know how that feels ;)

Now please, if your dog has sores, like some of you have mentioned, please take him or her to the vet, but this worked for us and I hope it works for some of your Fur-babies.

Rinse her daily with the hose when she comes in from outside, in case it is something she is picking up outside that she is allergic to and/or use a natural shampoo that is soothing to the skin. Considering the sores and the smell, you should consult your vet.