Dog Urinating Inside

My three year old dog has started urinating on things in the house when left alone. He has a doggy door and can come and go inside and out whenever he pleases so I know it's not a matter of just needing to go.

He may have a urinary tract infection and can't hold his urine. I would consult the vet.

I was always told to stick the animals nose in it. It seem to work for us.

I could be a number of things. UTI, he is trying to get your attention, not wanting to go out because another animal is out there that he is avoiding, or do you clean with ammonia? It attracts animals to urinate.

I'd begin by seeing what changes have taken place outside. Perhaps he has been frightened by a neighbouring cat or dog while peeing outside. You need to restore his confidence by making a secure place outside for him to go. Perhaps you could accompany him out when you are at home, and reward him lavishly for going in the right spot.

If this doesn't help, maybe the vet's advice should be taken. Then you will know whether or not there is a health problem. If he is still marking his indoor territory he is stressed about something, and it will take some consideration to find out what is the cause. Are there any new authority figures in the home, or does he have to share your affection with someone recently? When did you start to go out to work, and leave him alone?
Do your best to provide reassurance for him. I do hope the problem will soon be cured.