AdviceDogs

Dogs Fighting With Each Other

My friend has 2 German Shepherds, 3 years old and 1 1/2 years old. She has had the 3 year old from the age of 8 weeks. The second dog is a rescue dog. Jackson the 3 year old, did not have a problem with Max at first. However, Max has no social skills, he has bitten a couple of people, workmen that have come into the house, and barks until the people leave.

Max got castrated about 4 weeks ago, since then Jackson has been very jealous. He attacks and taunts Max, until it ends up in a full blown fight, attacking each other and biting each others throats. Blood has been drawn and I am afraid that they are going to seriously harm each other.

Sharon does not want to give Max back, as he is a lovely dog, but she is afraid that the dogs are going to seriously hurt each other, maybe ending in a fatality.

Please help. Thank you.

By Alison E

In the best interest of both Dogs you need to surrender Max to the German Shepherd Rescue/RSPCA before both animals seriously injure each other (or worse) If Max came from a registered pet resue by law he has to be de-sexed irrespective of age. And in any case it is not a great idea to have two male dogs together. Through no fault of his Max may have been removed from his Mother and siblings before eight weeks of age.

Had no one who had owned and understood the Breed so his attitude is I'll get you first before you get me. And legally you are responsible if he attacks a person or another Dog I really do feel sorry for you because you are trying to give this poor animal a good home.

Have bred/shown/trialled German Shepherds all my life and give you full credit but please seriously consider talking to registered German Shepherd breeders about this troubled boy. Good luck please keep us all informed.