Dog's Hair Has Not Grown Back After Trimming

After a full year my American Eskimo's hair still has not grown back on the bottom of his tail. It was trimmed to a length of about 4"; my groomer said for cleanliness. Please I need advise.

Best Answer

Normally you never give an American Eskimo or Husky a hair cut. You should only brush the hair on the dog to get off the undercoat that sheds during the summer months. Your dog might never grow the hair back on the tail or where your groomer cuts it off. I'd really consider changing your groomer if this is the case for your dog. I'm so sorry to hear this and it shouldn't of happened. I know some owners opt to shave their dog's during the summer months because of the shedding, but this is not necessary at all. These dogs normally require brushing twice a week and given a bath around 4 times a year. You can't bathe them too often because they have very sensitive skin and you'll dry up the oil in their skin by bathing them too often.

The hair may not grow back because there are two layers, and the groomer should not have cut it.

There could be something else going on with your dog for his fur to not be growing back, and sometimes, it could take a bit longer for it to grow, possibly up to 16 months.

www.petmd.com/.../15-5143

Your dog just happens to be one of the double-coated dogs that should not be trimmed unless it gets very matted and becomes dangerous to their health.

Here is a site that has a list of all double coated breeds:

themodernbark.petgiftsonline.com/.../grooming-fluffy-dogs-how-to-care...