ReusingGreen Living

Donating Ball Point Pens

My aunt, who recently passed, was a Medical Assistant in a doctor's office for a number of years. As such she has accumulated all kind of items from the drug reps who usually come to see the doctors at least once per week.

I would like to share some of these items with the community. She has a bag "full", and I mean loaded with all kinds of ball point pens (of course, the drug name is on them, but who cares). Many of the pens are really unusual, all black or blue ink.

I do not want to throw them away (there are at least 350) and am asking my thriftyfun community if you have any suggestions as to where I can donate these pens, where they will be of use.
Thanks all, waiting for your suggestions/comments.

By LINDA from New York, NY

Contact your local Senior Citizens Center, or whatever it is called where you live. Sometimes there is a day care associated with them where senior citizens can go to give their caregiver a break for a few hours or all day.

Also you might contact some of the homeless shelters, maybe even the Salvation Army because they do c hruch services and have groups for kids.

Give them to a school - teachers always need pens for the students.

Try daycares or schools!

The local schools can use them, or retirement homes. If nothing else, donate them to a local thrift store. They will benefit from them with more sales. I hope this helps. PBP

Before you do any of the above suggestions (they are all great!) check all the pens to make sure that they write. Many may be dried out and often advertising pens cannot be refilled with refills (assuming you can find any).

Schools will love these, or I donate often to an organization that assists foster parents.

You could take some of them to your pharmacy, they always need pens.