Duties of a Person with Power of Attorney

I am a Georgia resident. I am the oldest of 3 girls. Mother has had a hospital emergency. I, the big sister, was the only one that called 911, took her to the hospital, stayed, and then checked her in to find out what was wrong. The youngest sister has power of attorney. The hospital says even though I brought her to ER the sister with POA can only be spoken with unless the sister w/POA gives me permission to handle things at the hospital. Is that true? Neither of the 2 younger sisters even came to hopsital at all, the ER day, to assist me in any way. There is something wrong here yes? Would like some guidance.

There are several types of a POA and each POA may have specific requirements regarding legal and medical issues. In this case, the hospital is trying to protect itself and limit all communication to the POA. However, each POA can be different.

I strongly suggest that you immediately seek counsel with an attorney specializing in POAs to clarify the type of POA your sister has and what responsibilities and limitations she may have. This is a difficult and emotional time for all so an attorney will help to avoid communication issues and legal problems.

Hi my names Amanda.....Im my mom's power of attorney and she went back to her husband just yesterday. And she left him 3years ago they were separated...And he makes enough money to support her I just think that I have right to take over her ssi I help her with her everything like doctors appointments...i get All her meds for her...So is it possible for me to take over her ssi or hold it for her....Because I'm not married...

Amanda that you need to talk to ss about, but your mom will need to go with you , as they can not discuss her account with you unless she gives consent and is present or you have per poa. depending on his income, she may no longer even be eligible to get ssi. Normally to have the ssi, you live in the same household and are the responsible party. I double you would get it. If she can't handle it, it would normally be her husbands responsibility.

No...you can not take over her SSI....that is hers until something happens to her like death ...you paid for her expenses !? You can claim expenses paid in your tax return. If she was living with you ...you can also claim food etc....! Check with a pro bona lawyer if I am wrong possibly ...A....