ColoringHair Tips

Dyeing Hair After Adding Highlights

Recently I highlighted my hair. It went very badly, so I am thinking I would like to dye my hair again. Can I do that? And my hair highlights are a golden color.

Best Answer

Yes, you can do it again but try to be gentle on the parts you already highlighted as not to strip the strands. How did it go over badly? Once you redye, you might want a trim to revive your hair.

Best Answer

Yes, you can. Highlighted hair is often 'dyed' afterwards, but part of, the highlighting process.

When I was practicing, we did 'frostings.' We often applied color to the frosted hair to tone down reds and golds, which would have required further bleaching to eliminate, otherwise. Actually, applying color to the bleached hair is more gentle to the hair than further bleaching.

If you recolor your hair, do not expect to achieve an even color throughout.

Deep condition each week for a month and dye again.

When you highlight your hair, you are stripping color, making it more porous. That means that whatever color you put over those highlights will grab more of the dye. Your best bet to be gentlest on your hair, is to use a semi-permanent color that washes out in 28 shampoos.

Make sure you don't choose too dark a color. Choose a few shades lighter than what you think you like. A med neutral brown or a light golden brown.

Anonymous

Good advice.