Earning Extra Money While on SSI

I am on Social Security Disability due to health issues. I get my Social Security check each month, but wanted to know if I am allowed to sell something I manage to sew or make for a bit of extra money to help out with our expenses?

By Susan P.

Why not contact social security. They know the answers best. You can go to socialsecurity.gov. They may have some information on their web site.

I have always been told that a person on disability or SSI can earn up to $60.00 a month without that amount being touched, and after that for every $2.00 you earn they will take $1.00 out of your monthly check. However, check with your social security office to verify this. You would have to keep real detailed records, and I wouldn't advise you to try getting by with anything, because sure as the world somebody that knows you will report it.

You should be able to find some kind of part time work that you can do. I know a lot of people on disability that work part time, some up to 30 hours or more a week. I have known beauty operators that are on disability that work 20-30 hours. Another thing, with things that you make, is there a market for these items in your area? What other income do you have, being you make reference to "our income?" If your income qualifies you could get food stamps, rent assistance, etc.

Anonymous

There are web sites you can go on to sell items you make. Please first check with your social security office to verify that it is not going to endanger your social security benefits.

Every State is different here you can't get food stamps, and they have cut back over 100 dollars per month. Look at the sites suggested. It also depends on your disability. I would think if you are able to help make money its worth looking into. Good luck!

You are allowed to make a certain amount but why don't you ask the people who will know the answer at the SS office?

I just checked with my state of Oregon. I can make 692.00 a month and they also say that if you are selling things on line, it's really no different then selling at a yard sale. He said that if I manufactured a line of stuff and went big, then they would notice.

Everyone is right though, check with the local office. Sometimes the website can be confusing and talking to someone on a phone is a long wait. You may just want to bring a book and talk to a real person. It helped put my mind at ease.

Hope this all helps. Sandi

With SSD you can earn up to a certain limit a month before it would be counted aqs gainful income. I think it is like >600 or 700 dollars a month. You can also work and continue to draw SSD for I think 5 years. The info is on the SS.gov site. I would think of what you are doing as comparable to someone having a yardsale, SSD doesnt concern thierself with it. I would continue and not be worried at all.

I'm also on SSD. Your few dollars here and there won't affect anything. I'm working with a B2B marketing firm as an "independent contractor" for tax purposes. I don't make much, but it's a relatively steady income. The SSA knows because I file a 1099-MISC with my tax return, since I make more than $600 for the year. I am not penalized. As a matter of fact, I get a bit extra each December, since I had earned income they hadn't calculated into my income for the year.

Why it takes until December I don't know, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, lol!
Hey... I just checked the earnings threshold for 2012. For non-blind SSD recipients, it's $1010 per month. For blind folks like myself, that goes up to $1690 per month. Here's the link to the fact sheet that includes this info:

http://www.soci … olafacts2012.htm